Undersuits for the taller caver

aricooperdavis

After one too many wet trips that left me shivering I've decided to invest in a better undersuit than the student-special Primark onsie.

So I went to Inglesport and tried on all the undersuit they had, from warmbac fleecies and neofleeces to AV powerstretch suits.

However, I'm a skinny 6"2 (188cm) and I couldn't get a single undersuit to fit me properly; if the crotch-to-shoulder distance is big enough to comfortably give my goblins enough room, then you could also probably fit another couple of cavers in the suit with me.

I'm thinking maybe powerstretch salopettes might be a good solution, but I can't find any with adjustable shoulder straps, and am worried that I may have the same issue.

Any ideas?  :-\

CatM

Jumpsuits! Made to measure, a variety of options for material/price and Dennis is really friendly and helpful. Very happy with mine! :)

http://www.jumpsuits.randomstuff.org.uk/

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I think you're a bit taller than me Ari, but for reference my second hand Warmbac undersuit fits surprisingly well. On the other hand it's not a very technical material unlike something as warm and dry as powerstretch.

cavemanmike

Why not go and see a local seamstress to measure you up and make one, I bet it won't cost you any more. Especially if you buy the material yourself

AR

Another vote for Jumpsuits - Dennis will sort you out with something that exactly meets your needs.

Ian Ball

Dennis at Jumpsuits modified a shorty wetsuit into a powerstretch neo fleece for me with extra padding on the knees and elbows.  Best bit of kit I've bought and surprisingly cheap.

aricooperdavis

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I spent a chilly half hour at the top of the last pitch in Lost Johns this evening and am resolved to get a Jumpsuit in 200 weight Polartec fleece :)

Tommy

Ian Ball said:
Dennis at Jumpsuits modified a shorty wetsuit into a powerstretch neo fleece for me with extra padding on the knees and elbows.  Best bit of kit I've bought and surprisingly cheap.

That sounds like a great idea, how much was that?

pwhole

I've bought a couple of alternative waterproof suits in the last few years, which whilst almost perfect for caving, weren't quite, but were incredibly cheap and flexible, compared to the usual fare offered - however, after thoroughly abusing the first one for a while, I sent the second to Denis before I even used it, for the customisations I knew it would need before it got knackered (adding a chunky YKK zip, Velcro and pocket-sealing), and will send the next one arriving next week to him for the same. Excellent service and price, so I would definitely recommend his talents.

Ian Ball

Topimo said:
Ian Ball said:

That sounds like a great idea, how much was that?

Good question, under ?50 that's for sure. I've a feeling it was ?35.

ib

Subpopulus Hibernia

Is Denis Jump still making undersuits? I know he's not doing oversuits anymore. He certainly does repairs though.

I've used a Jumpsuit undersuit for the past 6/7 years, incredibly well-made piece of kit. Barely any wear on it. I got it cos, like the OP, I'm very tall and my first oversuit ripped because I wasn't the right shape for it.

Madness

pwhole said:
I've bought a couple of alternative waterproof suits in the last few years, which whilst almost perfect for caving, weren't quite, but were incredibly cheap and flexible, compared to the usual fare offered.

could you let us all know where these cheap and almost perfect suits are purchased from?

pwhole

Well - the original ones I used were by Faithful, made of 'Dritex' - it's a PU-coated fabric base, very thin and very flexible. It's not the most abrasion-resistant material, but then it doesn't split like PVC due to the backing (it 'plucks'), and is so light you barely know you're wearing it. We bought several in a rather fetching hi-viz yellow (no-one will lose you), and I've used my first for over four years, with some patching, and it cost ?40. Sadly they stopped making them a couple of years ago, but I still have a 'fresh' one as mentioned above, as the first is kind of disintegrating now. But it's going down Oxlow in the morning even so! I've never been convinced by the ?100+ prices of plastic suits - Cordura certainly is expensive, but I just don't get why PVC should be.

Ann at the club recently found another similar suit (Fortress Flex) which appeared to be a slightly heavier-weight coating on a similar fabric backing, so I decided to take the plunge - should be arriving later in the week. Even if it only lasts a year, it's a bargain at the price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004YDFCTS/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

phizz4

Try looking at sailing outfitters. The Wetsuit Outlet have undersuits for diving and dry suits, from people like Gul, Gill, Yak etc. Many of them are well priced and come in a variety of sizes. I have a fibre pile suit by a company called Polar Bear.

pwhole

Just a follow-up to this post - I've now had Denis Jump install a chunky YKK zip and extra Velcro strips added to this unused Fortress suit, so I'll try and give it a testing soon and report back. That work cost ?25, so with the original ?25 for the suit it's not bad at all, as long as the suit itself can take it. The last similar option (Dritex) lasted four years, so I'm reasonably optimistic.