NSS Convention Colorado USA 2011

Joe Duxbury

ian mckenzie said:
Just remember to check the status of WNS cave closures before you book your ticket.

Yes, the Colorado mountains and such may be wonderful for walking, mountain biking, rafting etc. but this is supposed to be a caving convention. Not much point if all the caves are closed, or if you have to leave all your caving gear behind once it's become 'contaminated'.

Amy

As far as I know, CO caves are open and there are multiple gear options...you don't have to leave your gear there. So long as you are willing to follow the decon protocols you can use your stuff and take it with you, basically. They'll have decon stations set up I presume much like at the 2010 convention: WNS Decontamination at a Caving Event Using Bleach as the Disinfectant <- bleach version
Decontaminating Vertical Caving Equipment <- nonbleach version (such as for vertical gear) but I always use non-bleach because I don't want to bleach my clothes out lol.

Mike - not sure about mines, but I would think it would be possible - there are so many people there surely you could find someone who knows locations and can get a group together. The March 2011 NSS News will have the details about the convention so around that time the info would be put on the site, I figure. You could always contact them and ask.

Amy

There aren't many details up yet, apparently those will come out in March or so.
I inquired about mine trips on our (NSS) forum but no one has responded yet. If I hear anything, I'll post back :)

Les W

I think the NSS Convention requires you book in advance for field trips. It certainly has at the ones I've been to.
It is a matter of knowing number/logistics, etc

Amy

OKee good to know =)

also, just posted in reply to my query about your question....
There are no mine tours close to Glenwood, but there are several between Denver and Glenwood. There is also a post convention camp close to Cripple Creek on Mike Fraziers land. There is a very good mine tour there at the Molly Kathleen Mine which is over a mile deep.

moorebooks

Amy said:
this is up now: http://nss2011.com/daytime-activities/geology-field-trip/
The 2nd geology field trip looks like it included 2 mines.

I am sure there will be sign ups for specific trips there....if it runs anything like TAG did, you just checked out a certain tent for the trip sign-up sheets which would have leader/cave/horz or vert/dificulty level/time/sign up slots on it.

I had a look but the field trip  is to do with Geology and environmental impact rather than a proper underground exploration which is what I would want, the same applies to show mines such as Molly Kathleen but can do those any time clearly there are some amazing sites over there, with interesting underground stuff which I would want to see. There doesn't appear to be a contact to ask the question

Mike

Amy

well prolly as it gets closer more will be figured out - like I said, info is supposed to come out in March issue so probaby around March/April more info will be available for trip details I'd think...

...sorry, I'm trying to find out for ya!