How fast will a cow decompose?

Pitlamp

A site we were intending to visit evidently had a cow fall down it a while back. Assuming it's at cave temperature (around 9 degrees C) what's the consensus on how long it'll take to decompose?

Is there anything which might be done to accelerate the decomposition? I've heard a useful method is to pour on a tub of maggots from a fishing tackle shop; has anyone tried this or is it just anecdotal?

Thanks, in anticipation of any information or suggestions.

langcliffe

There's been a sheep festering away on the ledge in the Marble Steps entrance gully for at least a couple of years. I think that the head did a runner some time ago, but the torso was still there a couple of months back. So without some remedial action, I think that you'll have to live with the cow for some time. I agree that maggots are your friends.

2xw

A pertinent paper is Meyer et al 2013 Seasonal Variation of Carcass Decomposition and Gravesoil Chemistry in a Cold (Dfa) climate

In the winter months their cow carcasses entered the advanced decomposition state (skeletonization as soft tissue falls away) by 60 days.

Maggots might be good, and if you can pour some probiotic yoghurt into the mouth and anus that may speed things.

Mike Hopley

2xw said:
Maggots might be good, and if you can pour some probiotic yoghurt into the mouth and anus that may speed things.

That would be a fabulous statement to take out of context. Adventurous/criminal plans for a night out, perhaps?

Pitlamp

Thanks for the help so far. (I've PM'd you Andy).

I was wondering whether maggot bombing might result n the place becoming fly city. Or maybe that'd happen anyway, naturally?

Re your second suggestion fulk (  :eek: ) - bring a knife and fork and I'll happily watch . . .

;)

I?d go with petrol. Generally a very impressive way to do it - stand well back or you lose your eyebrows. Very successful a quarter of a century ago following a raging  inferno in a shake hole on Wild Boar Fell.

cfmwh

If you're going to stick anything up it's arse, you might consider a shaped charge! Speed the process up a tad. A kind of forced heifervescence?!

Pitlamp

Fair comment Mike.

Not sure petrol is such a good idea in this situation psychocrawler, partly for environmental reasons and partly in case any cavers with particularly strong stomachs do go in and encounter CO or something as a result.

Anyone else have any ideas about how long the cow is likely to stay there till it decays naturally?

AR

Another possibility would be quicklime but depending on how far down the ex-moo is, it could be difficult to get enough down there to make a difference. I still reckon maggots would be the best bet, once they've  eaten most of it you could grapple the bones out.

mikem

May be an educational, whilst macabre read:
https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/science/stages-of-decomposition/

thomasr

Maybe find another site, leave it to decompose naturally or pull it out alltogether And quicklime good grief :eek:

blackshiver

The NYMCC had a bit of a sheep incident a few years back when a flock decided to follow their leader down a newly opened windypit. Well, it was mid winter and warm air was coming up the shaft....
They rescued about half of them that had survived - by bouncing off the corpses of their buddies - but left a lot of dead down there. The hole was covered with an iron plate and left for a couple of years when a pre-xmas piss up trip to the place became a ?good idea?. I borrowed a gas mask from work and got togged up in biohazard gloves because I expected absolute carnage.
There was nothing left but bleached bones and lots of dry, empty maggot cases.
A tub of maggots might be a therefore be reasonable idea, but I would also expect nature to take its course if the deceased is close enough to the surface to allow flies to get at it.

RobinGriffiths

Didn't they use maggots during the Spanish Civil Wat to treat injuries where they ate the pusy bits and the wounds healed. Not even googling that.

Pitlamp

Lime is something else I've heard of being used - but I'd have thought the resulting high pH would have discouraged the very microbes and insects that are wanted to get rid of the thing, thus prolonging the problem. (This makes me wonder if lime merely reduces the stink rather than dealing with the problem directly.)

SamT

RobinGriffiths said:
ate the pusy

pnarrr..
0*h1HBKpqibONaHTRH.

Indeed, do not google if at work.  :LOL: