menus not dropping down in front of banner

estelle

Have noticed that when you click on profile or my messages or members, you can only see the first two items on the list because the banner is in the way!

JasonC

I don't see why clearing browser cache would make the Cave/Climb flash advert go away.

In Chrome, I get the same effect as Elaine.
In IE 6, much the same, maybe I can see only 1.5 menu options
In Opera 11 the drop-down menu is presented horizontally rather than vertically - looks a bit ugly, but comes in front of the ad.

Not a major problem as you can just click on Profile (or whatever) and choose the option from there, but irritating for the perfectionist :)

bubba

Administrator
JasonC said:
I don't see why clearing browser cache would make the Cave/Climb flash advert go away.
I never said that it would.

But clearing the cache might have cured problems with the code that drives the menus which seem to be being placed under the ad / some other issue. About 90% of all user's forum problems are cured by a cache clear which is why it's the first thing to suggest.

But as it happens, it doesn't.

Happens to me in FF8 and Chrome, don't use anything else.

We'll have to look into it...

estelle

i had noticed it in FF on work computer (i've got a nice ad blocker on FF at home which gets rid of adverts!) and chrome and for completeness i've just run up IE9 and it does it in there too.

JasonC

Just tried on FF4 at work, and it works lovely there, with the menu dropping down in front of the ad.

Whatever happened to HTML being a standardised language ?

langcliffe

JasonC said:

The menus seem to be implemented in JavaScript.

I will confess I didn't realise there was a banner there until I just tried it on IE8.

TheBitterEnd

The problem is there on FF8. Reminds me of the <select> problem that IE 6 and earlier always had - but that was the other way round IIRC, the select box always appeared on top of everything.

JasonC said:

as I'm sure you know HTML is standard, as is ECMA Script (JavaScript) however the way browser vendors implement it varies widely

paul

TheBitterEnd said:
The problem is there on FF8. Reminds me of the <select> problem that IE 6 and earlier always had - but that was the other way round IIRC, the select box always appeared on top of everything.

JasonC said:

as I'm sure you know HTML is standard, as is ECMA Script (JavaScript) however the way browser vendors implement it varies widely

The problem sound much more likely to be due to CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) which is used to position things on web pages and is renowned to be a complete pig to get consistent behaviour across different Browsers.

Without dragging out what is probably a boring subject to the majority, what happens is Vendor A is working on the next version of their Browser, finds out that there is new functionalty coming in CSS, creates the Browser with this in mind so that it is up to date and releases it. Then the "powers that be" who decide on what goes into CSS change what they originally planned and Vendor A's Broswer not has some problem rendering a web page in some area.

Meanwhile Vendor B releases the next version of their Browser a bit later, but they build it to take into account this new CSS functionality which has now been implemented and their Browser works correctly.

We the view a Web page with Vendor A's Browser and see a problem but Vendor B's Browser works fine.

bubba

Administrator
I've looked into this - the problem is with Flash. The flash .swf is overlayed above all other page content. 

There are ways of fixing this if you have access to changing parameters on the HTML object that displays the .swf but the way we serve ads (via an ad-server outside of the forums) means that this isn't possible.

The obvious solution is to use animated gifs instead of flash but it's no longer my decision to make such a technical call.

Les W

I'm only missing one item which is "forum profile" and that shows if you move the mouse down the list. All the rest are visible. Not sure it is worth too much effort to fix something so trivial...  :-\

Simon Lee

estelle said:
but hopefully i'll never see adverts again now. :)

Estelle,

I apologise for the adverts causing minor problems with the site menus.

As sole (current) advertisers on UKCaving we are extremely grateful to CaveClimb for their financial support without which UKCaving wouldn't continue in its current form (if at all) and it shouldn't be taken for granted. It would be ideal if members respond to the adverts and went out of their way to buy their equipment from Andy & co ! 

Simon