Just walk in!

yrammy

Do come and see us if you are in Derbyshire. Email us to check when we will be there. When you arrive Just walk in!

4635111295.jpg

alastairgott

Are you in tomorrow? I might be at a loose end. (have to be in Oldham for 11am, but then the afternoon will probably be free)

yrammy

I am generally in on Wednesdays. Jenny Potts may be there but best to email her direct.

It is best to email bcra-librarian@bcra.org.uk  in advance to check

Thanks
Mary

alastairgott

I've no particular reason to go. Just general interest. I'll probably leave it till I'm there on a weekend in early November.

I'll find something to while away a Friday afternoon, probably in Buxton.

yrammy

Several stories! There used to be an artist's studio upstairs in the building. That has now gone. Inside now you will find 1000s of books , journals, surveys, photos, and even a few objects - encompassing the incredible story of caving past and present.  Oh and two busy ladies trying to keep their heads above water :)

Jenny P

The original painting on the door was done by the artist who rented one of the upstairs studios in the building - I think probably in 2007 or 2008 because it was there when we first moved the Library there in July 2008.  It is very much faded and weather-beaten now because it is in the sun most of the day on good days and cops the lot when it rains, hails or snows. 

Originally the painting clearly showed an old half-door with the top half open with pot of brushes and painter's rag on the sill and a view of the studio inside.  The closed lower half of the door (not shown in the photo), showed crumbling wood with a split at the very bottom and a small dog with its head pushed through the hole.  The painter who was responsible has now moved his studio to Longnor village and the door is now sadly in need of a re-paint.  We have been thinking of a caving scene for the door next time. 

Special thanks to Iain Barker who has made us the smart new sign for the door.  ;)

The Library occupies the whole of the ground floor of this part of the building and we have recently taken over one of the Studios upstairs, which we intend to use as our special cave survey room.  So we have to move 4 huge map chests and their contents up the stairs and rebuild them, plus setting up computer, printer, tables, etc. to make full use of the extra room

If anyone is around on Saturday this weekend and could provide some muscle power I would be extremely grateful - I'll be there all day from about 10am working on the cataloguing.  I'll also be there on Sunday afternoon as well so anyone who calls in this weekend and is willing to lend a hand will be more than welcome.  Tea and cakes are on offer both days!

Please PM me if you'd like to come this weekend on either day.

paul

Here's what the door looked like in Jan 2008:

Attachments

• artist studio door small.jpg
    artist studio door small.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 169