How much active digging?

ryanctj

Just curious. As a relatively new caver and browsing through the cave maps on the excellent ogof.org.uk website, it got me wondering how much digging and fresh exploration is going on these days, particularly in the South Wales area? I know the ?glory days? of caving seem to have passed but is anyone still out there actively seeking new caves, such as the rumoured major system beneath the Black Mountain? Hopefully the recent earthquake has loosened things up.

PeteHall

The glory days of easy-to-find new cave have certainly passed (in the UK at least), but there is still plenty of digging going on out there.

Digs are either long term projects that may continue for years and never break through or they are a long way from the surface!

The best way to find out how many active digs there are in your area, would be to look a little bit keen in the local caving hut/pub and see how many people try to press-gang you onto their project after you've had too many beers to turn them down (y)

mudman

Definitely still a lot of digging going on. My club has several on the go.
However, I think South Wales digging has been driven underground (pun intended) as a lot of people are worried about being hauled in front of the local judiciary if they accidentally step on a rare lichen. How likely this is is debatable but it is definitely a factor in the increased secrecy that you'll find,especially in the Llangattock and Clydach Gorge areas.

alastairgott

PeteHall said:
The glory days of easy-to-find new cave have certainly passed (in the UK at least), but there is still plenty of digging going on out there.

Some interesting conceptions, but I'm sure there are things that can be found as surface digs or easy digs quite close to the surface. The challenge is finding them and 'realising' their potential.

If you were a mining company, employing someone for half a year to find something, would back in the day, be quite easy and would only amount to 180 days worth of digging.

3 years of digging once every fortnight is 72 sessions. It really depends on your perceptions of long term digging.

Finding cave in 3 or 4 sessions is rare, but it definitely DOES happen!

mikem

About 10km of passage found on Mendip between 2006 & 2016, Upper Flood & Charterhouse accounting for half of that, but they were both very long term digs (UFS took almost 40 years). Around 0.5km found last year.

Mike

Pitlamp

There's so much new stuff left to find. There's many large areas of limestone still virtually untouched, which have all the signs of being cave country. This is where a good caving library really shows its value; do your research properly and you'll have a much better success rate.

One top tip is look at areas or systems about which very little has been written. They'll probably have had fewer of your predecessors rooting around and picking off the cherries.

Another useful source of information is to read material written by cavers who are known to have been consistently successful. As an example, in the post war period up to the 1960s there was a bloke called Les Salmon, who was very active in the Peak District. He was also a very good recorder of exploratory work (mainly in BSA publications but also elsewhere). More recent generations have focussed on outstanding work and promising leads flagged up by Salmon's writings, with many interesting finds resulting.

It all starts in the caving library  ;)

The Old Ruminator

Folk are still burrowing away under Mendip . We still have not found the mythical Cheddar Master Cave. I think the Cheddar area is one of the largest catchments and risings in the UK. Sadly some Mendip digging groups tend to be a bit shy so we don't hear all that goes on. We took a chance on a surface dig three years ago and are approaching 70m depth. In Mendip terms that's pretty good going.

NewStuff

I can't say about South Wales, but certainly in North Wales, we are. Many other clubs have, according to the grapevine, a few on the go. Given the rampant and often acrimonious politics here, most people won't tell you about what they are digging, however.

pwhole

Pitlamp said:
Another useful source of information is to read material written by cavers who are known to have been consistently successful. As an example, in the post war period up to the 1960s there was a bloke called Les Salmon, who was very active in the Peak District. He was also a very good recorder of exploratory work (mainly in BSA publications but also elsewhere). More recent generations have focussed on outstanding work and promising leads flagged up by Salmon's writings, with many interesting finds resulting.

Funnily enough, I found a hilarious letter in the TSG library ages ago, between Trevor Ford and (I think) Les Salmon. They'd been sneakily digging at night in the Lower Bung Stopes in Speedwell, trying to get into what would now be the bottom of the Nameless Series, without success. They'd even more sneakily taken in some bang to help their efforts, and set off a charge at midnight or something. I think Trevor was still working at the Cavern at the time and the next morning he got a proper bollocking, as the fumes hadn't cleared in the streamway, but had blown back into the canal instead.

But agreed, there is still loads to find, even in areas considered 'played out', and digging is definitely worth it, if permission and logistics make it possible. That's the best part, finding something new. Pitlamp, your article in the 1991 Peak-Speedwell Cave Science mentioning the 'rule of thumb' about passage density/length between known entrances on a cave system (I don't have it in front of me) - the 10km of cave for every 1km separation - was that developed any further? It's certainly been useful to me, especially when looking at suspiciously 'empty' areas on the surveys of large cave systems  :)

Mark Wright

pwhole said:
Pitlamp said:

Funnily enough, I found a hilarious letter in the TSG library ages ago, between Trevor Ford and (I think) Les Salmon. They'd been sneakily digging at night in the Lower Bung Stopes in Speedwell, trying to get into what would now be the bottom of the Nameless Series, without success. They'd even more sneakily taken in some bang to help their efforts, and set off a charge at midnight or something. I think Trevor was still working at the Cavern at the time and the next morning he got a proper bollocking, as the fumes hadn't cleared in the streamway, but had blown back into the canal instead.

But agreed, there is still loads to find, even in areas considered 'played out', and digging is definitely worth it, if permission and logistics make it possible. That's the best part, finding something new. Pitlamp, your article in the 1991 Peak-Speedwell Cave Science mentioning the 'rule of thumb' about passage density/length between known entrances on a cave system (I don't have it in front of me) - the 10km of cave for every 1km separation - was that developed any further? It's certainly been useful to me, especially when looking at suspiciously 'empty' areas on the surveys of large cave systems  :)

I've been reading the 1991 Cave Science only today, researching something in Peak Cavern that needs another look at.

Pitlamp mentioned the Les Salmon references. It is those exact references that led Pete O'Neil and the late Frank Brown to find a lot of new cave in the Peak/Speedwell catchment. 

There was a list of potentially promising digs on the wall in the TSG hut in the 80's that maybe Pitlamp actually put together. It was that list that got me interested in digging out the Trenches and finally linking Peak & Speedwell in 1984.

Most of the digs on the list are still waiting to be dug.

Mark

Huge

ryanctj said:
such as the rumoured major system beneath the Black Mountain?

Just to point out the amount of potential still out there ryanctj, you've missed an 's' off the end of 'system'. From the catchments that have been mapped out, there are at least four major systems under the Black Mountain and only the Dan Yr Ogof catchment has a large amount of passage so far explored!

Get digging!  :)

pwhole

Pitlamp mentioned the Les Salmon references. It is those exact references that led Pete O'Neil and the late Frank Brown to find a lot of new cave in the Peak/Speedwell catchment. 

Would that be the high-level pitches in Perseverance Pot for one? I only recently saw the full write-up and survey of that and was pretty impressed. Sorry for swerving it off Wales, BTW.

Trig Gledhill

There's plenty ongoing in the Llangattock/ Llangynidr to Clydach area and on the other side of the valley.

It's kept mostly secret but there is still loads more to be found.

I can't speak for the black mountain side but I've heard there's  huge efforts to find the systems

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Minion

pwhole said:

Would that be the high-level pitches in Perseverance Pot for one? I only recently saw the full write-up and survey of that and was pretty impressed. Sorry for swerving it off Wales, BTW.

How dare you discuss pitches on a South Wales thread!! We will have none of that nonsense down here  :tease:

Huge

Some of us here in South Wales actually like pitches Minion!  Now, when are we doing Pwll Dwfn?

Pwll Dwfn, somewhere where relatively recently there's been a lot of under water digging and a whole new aven system has been explored.

ryanctj

Huge said:
ryanctj said:
such as the rumoured major system beneath the Black Mountain?

Just to point out the amount of potential still out there ryanctj, you've missed an 's' off the end of 'system'. From the catchments that have been mapped out, there are at least four major systems under the Black Mountain and only the Dan Yr Ogof catchment has a large amount of passage so far explored!

Get digging!  :)

That is exciting news indeed! I drive over the Black Mountain every day to work and often wonder if/when more caves will be discovered there. I?ve only been in Llygad Llwchwr over there so far, fantastic cave.

Thanks for all the great responses, it?s great to hear there is plenty of digging still going on everywhere, though I fully appreciate the need to remain discreet. It is something I would like to try in time.

Trig Gledhill

Huge said:
Some of us here in South Wales actually like pitches Minion!  Now, when are we doing Pwll Dwfn?

Pwll Dwfn, somewhere where relatively recently there's been a lot of under water digging and a whole new aven system has been explored.
He's dragging his heels for Pwll Dwfn! I'm good to go whenever

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk