Advice please on any non-srt caves in SW with open access

adamgeens

Hi folks I?m asking for a friend who?s not on UKC....

He?s taking his family down to Brecon this weekend and would like to take them caving. He is a level 2 leader in the peak and the kids have done jugholes, giants and plenty more, so the cave doesn?t need to be too simple, but really needs to have open access so he doesn?t need to worry about keys/permits etc.

He asked me, to which I replied that I had no idea but hopefully the good people of UK caving would be able to help out....

Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks in advance,

Adam

Trig Gledhill

I wouldn't reccomendd Pen Eryr or Eglwys Faen after the trips they have done previously, they might find them a bit boring  :LOL:

Llygad or maybe Little Neath? Both wet sporty trips

adamgeens

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful. I?ll have to arrange a trip soon to have a look at these caves as well. Keep posting if you think of any more 😁

martinb

Trig Gledhill said:
I wouldn't reccomendd Pen Eryr or Eglwys Faen after the trips they have done previously, they might find them a bit boring  :LOL:

Really? I liked Eglwys Faen, there's plenty of route grovelling to keep the smallest urchin (and tall gangly bloke) happy for a couple of hours......

tim.rose2

Have done all the following on various trips to Wales and would think they'd be suitable for you:
Llygad Llwchwr (and LL2 if you want more) - probably the best option of this lot.
Eglwys Faen
Pen Eryr (bit short and boring)
Town Drain / Bridge (Do both, each on their own is a bit short)
Ogof y Ci
Porth yr Ogof
Ogof Clogwyn (might want to check if the road works in the Gorge are effecting the access)
Tim

walshy155

I'd go for Llygad given the current weather predictions and conditions, maybe bridge cave, Ogof Foel Fawr, Ogof Pasg

Llygad is a nice cave

Trig Gledhill

martinb said:
Trig Gledhill said:
I wouldn't reccomendd Pen Eryr or Eglwys Faen after the trips they have done previously, they might find them a bit boring  [emoji38]

Really? I liked Eglwys Faen, there's plenty of route grovelling to keep the smallest urchin (and tall gangly bloke) happy for a couple of hours......
Ah yeah it's fine and brill lil cave for kids, it's big brother and sister either side are better though [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

adamgeens

Really good info, thank you everyone. The kids are about 8 and 5 so will be happy with whatever I guess. Except drowning, they won?t enjoy that much, but he?s seen the forecast so he?ll head to one of the dry ones!

Thanks again.

Adam