Virtual club pub meet!

GarDouth

Administrator
We weren't going to be prevented from having our monthly York Caving Club pub meet last night. 15 members joined on Skype and we all had a good laugh and a drink just like a real pub. A welcome distraction  :beer:

90716182_1840174099450982_3224967243213307904_o.jpg

Cavematt

When our meets sec suggested this, I wasn't sure quite how well it would work... would it feel anything like our usual meet? Would the conversation flow as it does at the pub? Would the technology deal with it? Would people even be up for this? Surely a pint of beer at home in front of the computer would be a bit strange.

I was very pleasantly surprised!!!

We had about 15 members participate (50% more than our usual 'real' pub meets), a great natter for over two hours with the usual quality of banter, a couple of pints, a welcome laugh, and it was great to catch up with so many of my closest friends who I am missing seeing already. We have another scheduled for next week, and we plan to explore various different online platforms (Skype worked really well but a few people's video kept dropping in and out).

The next plan is 'virtual digging' to replace our usual Wednesday night digging sessions. We will meet by Skype at 6pm with beer, crisps and excuses not to go digging. We will then reluctantly go and roll around in the mud in our individual back gardens for two hours, pointlessly transporting it from one side of the garden to the other, before reconvening on Skype at 9pm for beer and roast potatoes. It will be just like the real thing and I expect the impact on actual digging progress will be minimal.  :LOL:

The Rubber Ducks had a small online meeting the other day and it worked srprisingly well - nice to have a chat and see some faces with a drink in hand. :beer:

Will be continuing these over the next few months.

Craven had a small online meeting with Zoom on Friday, which worked really well. I'm sure Skype will too. Good way to keep in touch.

mikem

There do seem to be major security issues with many of these formats - although that's hopefully not a problem for most social groups:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-52133349