Equipment storage

ianball11

My cellar is a typical cellar, slightly damp, but nothing amazing.

We are arguing over it's suitabiity for kit storage, I say its fine, caving kit doesn't mind being damp. Others say it'll all corrode and be useless sooner than you know it.

When does damp become too damp? It's a problem as effectively these 'friends' came around when we weren't around and took pretty much everything and have now dissapeared! With no rigging kit or srt gear it looks like this year will be very horizontal!

Stu

Cool, dry and dark (away from uv light) is the usual advice. Caving kit will tolerate damp but IMHO it's not an ideal storage medium.

SamT

Mines been in my cellar for the last couple of years and is fine. Its quite a dry cellar. I lined the floor with polly sheet and filled it with about 4 to 5 " of concrete (poured down coal hatch from a big lorry). Simple cheap and has made a big difference.

ianball11

That seems a bit drastic but maybe its whats needed. At the moment we have stuff on top of pallets that are covered with plastic sheeting, the stuff for laminate flooring.

Its a rented house though so I doubt our landord would be too impressed!

Stu, a quick question, whats IMHO?

Ian B.

J

JohnK

so cold and damp may be OK, if the kit is used regularly, but what about hot and dry, very dry.

My clubs stuff is kept in hot and very drying room. No chance of rusty or mouldy kit, but will the extreme dryness age things prematurely? As I'm with a uni club things can get left in the hut for quite some time, most of the ropes and harnesses wont get used again until March, when everyone is ready for a bit SRT.

Let me know what you think, and if I need to, any ideas as to how I can increase the humidity

paul

JohnK said:
so cold and damp may be OK, if the kit is used regularly, but what about hot and dry, very dry.

My clubs stuff is kept in hot and very drying room. No chance of rusty or mouldy kit, but will the extreme dryness age things prematurely? As I'm with a uni club things can get left in the hut for quite some time, most of the ropes and harnesses wont get used again until March, when everyone is ready for a bit SRT.

Let me know what you think, and if I need to, any ideas as to how I can increase the humidity

You could always take the gear underground on caving trips before March!

cavemancolumbus

JohnK said:
most of the ropes and harnesses wont get used again until March, when everyone is ready for a bit SRT.

remember CHECC meet at YSS, last weekend in November. There was some talk of perrigging some ropes. Its before march anyway.

SamT

ianball11 said:
Stu, a quick question, whats IMHO?

Ian B.

nerdy net speak for In My Humble Opinion. (no offence stu)
Used a lot of on forums.

lots of similar ones - RAOTFLMAO = rolled around on the floor laughing my arse of

etc etc

:crazy:

bubba

Administrator
Just a lot easier than typing it all out, though when I see ROFLMAO it makes me want to punch something. Emoticons say it much better imho :wink:

The only ones I've seen in common usage are:

LOL - laugh out loud
BTW - by the way
IIRC - if I remember correctly
RTFM - read the fucking manual
FWIW - for what it's worth
HTH - hope that helps