Attachting footloop to hand jammer? (New to SRT)

suddenlywill_

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I stopped caving before I had the chance to get any formal SRT instruction or 'properly' self teach, and am looking to resume caving and join a club in the near future so excuse the probably stupid question;

I use a CT quick up handled ascender, with two slots at the bottom, one small and one large. Since I connect my long cowstail to my ascender while prussiking instead of a combined footloop and safety link I was wondering if it was "safe" to tie my footloop directly around one of the holes in the ascender, i.e, will it break or will it hold my weight, or should I use a 7mm or so maillon to join the footloop and ascender? The fact my footloop is never going to take anything more than my body-weight makes me think it will be alright, but like I said I'm new to this and thought I'd seek advice on it beforehand.

Thanks in advance,

Will

topcat

I do just this, direct tie to jammer.  It is neat, but some folk prefer to be able to detach their footloop.  I've never felt the need to do this, but maybe one day......?

I use a barrel knot with 6mm dynema.

Tc mmm

suddenlywill_

topcat said:
I do just this, direct tie to jammer.  It is neat, but some folk prefer to be able to detach their footloop.  I've never felt the need to do this, but maybe one day......?

I use a barrel knot with 6mm dynema.

Tc mmm

Cheers for the reply, I'll do this :)

ganjaman

ta for tip mate but I do things a lil different and use proper access equipment not caving harness its hard to exp[lain easier to show you I maybe read original post wrong reading and writing aint my favourite thing I like digging holes and doing srt

ganjaman

its not as light as caving gear but im more interested in mines only go caving if its near something im already there for and since I spend a lot of time in my harness it has to be comfy

markpot

For what its worth jon doesn't use "proper access equipment"to which i think he is refering to the industrial twin line set up.He use's a climbing style set up(not having a dig jon because your set up will work but isnt ideal). Get some proper training, listen to the advice of Alistairgott ect and stay safe (y)

Tseralo

It's not part of the safety chain so not as much of a concern but I've noticed the hole on my ascention has started to get a burr from rub of the other biners on it, which could cut the foot loop. If your happy to just keep an eye on it no reason to not just tie it on especially if you're new to SRT.

Some people may like it to be detachable as it makes it easier to use in a rescue system or if they are trying to pack all their kit down small for dragging through colostomy etc.

markpot

Each to there own.i prefer a system that wont let me down and the extra weight and packsize and weight of a small mallion/binner is negligible.