Quarry Dean Farm Website

cap n chris

http://www.quarrydeanfarm.org.uk/index.html

The access page states that access is presently denied, awaiting a full explanation before granting access - also it says on the contact page that if access is denied then don't ask. However, the access page also states that a group wishes to dowse and that this application is being considered.

Confused? I am.

Also it says:-

The purpose of this site is:

1) To provide details of any allowed access to the land and it's underground workings.
....But there aren't any that I can find.

2) To provide an accurate record of the use of the land and it's underground workings, since 1947.

3) Provide easy reference to public data about the workings and artefacts found within them.

4) Provide details of all activities that have already taken place at these sites. This is to include names of clubs involved, and persons involved, with references to the original documents detailing activities.

5) Provide a contact email address so that contact can be made without the need to go through any clubs or societies.
....But the contact details then state not to ask since access is presently denied (see first point above).

6) Provide other landowners with an insight to problems that arrise from people using private lands that contain mines, quarries or caves.
....But it doesn't seem to do this either.

It also says: "...we will be happy to look into your proposals.
You might not get a quick reply, check the access page to see if any decision has been made, you will either see
"Denied",
"Under consideration" or
"more details required please".

.... since the expression "Access granted" isn't listed it seems likely that no-one would bother wasting their time when the best they could hope for would be "under consideration" or "more details required please".

Does anyone know when the site is likely to be updated and whether or not the dowsers did get permission?

D

darkplaces

Thats one way to get yourself banned for life and your childrens children banned Mr Cap.

Tis a bit of a stern website though. Atleast its very clear and does provide a means of contact, very important! It looks like its been put up quickly and more info to follow, I see this as a way forward if nothing else.

AndyF

Yoy can just go to http://www.nominet.org.uk/

and do a "whois" on the site name (without the "www." at the front)
to find out who owns any site.

cap n chris

c**tplaces said:
and does provide a means of contact, very important! It looks like its been put up quickly and more info to follow, I see this as a way forward if nothing else.

You're really keen on mines, Darkplaces (oops!... put the wrong name in first time!). Why don't you enquire about organising a trip?... No, seriously; see whether access is granted to nice people who aren't on the banned list. I reckon you'd be in with a chance.

D

darkplaces

I have done so.. I have offered to take photos and provide them on CDROM with free use as long as they are credited. We have some good photo people here at DP.

I'm not sure my current tag line will help much though... 'Harder than Eskimo nipples'

Anyone else thinking like me that HITR was Martin Harrison?

Seems odd that the only options for access are either under consideration or banned for life!

Does that mean you get considered and then banned for life?

Dan.

R

Roger Cook

I was much saddened to read what this website said. This is not the Harrison family that I experienced. They were always welcoming and friendly. They never displayed such a suspicious attitude to those with a genuine interest in their property. Mr Mullens Harrison was a wonderful person, as were the rest of his family when I knew them. Whoever wrote this website (I assume it is a member of the family) is paying no respect whatsoever to the memory of his or her past relatives.

Heather, Martin, whoever, you should be ashamed of yourself.

L

Lincolnshire poacher

As danthecavingman said:

I think we all know whos site this might be.........

Best left well alone......

Sneaking away very quietly......

Best not to rock the boat anymore than it already has!. It's very sad when access agreements (or even lack of) come to this sort of thing. Lets hope that all parties involved sort it out amicably.

R

Roger Cook

Mr Dan the Caving Man....

Alas, I think this is wishful thinking. 'Was' implies he is no more. :(

D

darkplaces

I have exchanged a couple of very positive emails detailing a photo visit nothing more, I dont expect anything but I am encouraged and think its worth a clean start. Its important right now that if access is granted in a few months time the emails reflect what actually happens to set a good start.

Meantime I'm gona need the nest few months to charge all the batterys for all my Metz flashes!

H

hole_in_the_rock

danthecavingman said:

Seems odd that the only options for access are either under consideration or banned for life!

Does that mean you get considered and then banned for life?

Dan.

Dan, why dont you try emailing and find out? It may be more beneficial than trying to work things out from their site.

Roger Cook, thank you for your input, the contents of which have already been thoroughly disputed in your previous posts, as you only "knew "Mullens through a few letters. Your input does little to help relations between WCMS and the owners.

Lincolnshire poacher, their boat has left without them, so there is not one to rock now. If they were in a boat and it rocked over they would float away like jellyfish; SPINELESS.

Cap 'n' chris

The primary use for the website is to allow contact, which until now has been impossible as people such as Peter Burgess from WCMS are plagueing messageboards asking people to contact him if interested in going to QDF. Now that contact can be made, Peter might refrain from his posts?

There is an ownership issue again at Quarry Dean Farm , following the death of another of the owners. Access can not be granted until the new equal owner is legally proved, and any access visits agreed between the parties.

It is hoped that the newest owner will approve certain visits to the mines and the land they are in, though it can not be said for certain what will happen when the newest owner is established (they might even want to sell the land, who knows?).

I do know that several people have applied for access, and are currently waiting to hear if and when visits might be possible.
I realise this is a far cry from the old days when you just phoned a **** club member, and if you face fitted you were allowed to go there for a small fee, but everyone is more grown up these days and realise that legal access is not the same as a mate in **** allowing you to go to someones private land without their knowledge or permission.

It could be that the site builder is busy with other matters, and considers that the site is adequate at the moment as it allows a contact point.

Perhaps Peter Burgess can shed some light on this matter? He advertises himself as a contact point for access to QDF.
.taunt>Come on Peter, tell us why the site is not finished and tell us all about access.<taunt.

Oops, back to Cap 'n' chris, if you wish to know more about their site try emailing them. I dont suppose you will get a reply unless you are asking about access for more than just idle curiosity.
People who really want access email and explain what they propose doing on the land, those who do not have an interest give up easily, like you did.
I suppose it is a way of reducing timewasters, but it does give rise to stupid assumptions.

Peter Burgess

The qdf website is not mine. It is registered in the name of Heather Harrison. If anyone wants to find out why it is not finished they could write to her. The address is given with the registration details, and the means to discover this information was given earlier in this thread. There is therefore no need for me to post it here, which would be an irresponsible thing to do on a public forum. When people contact me about access to Quarry Dean, I merely tell them that it is not permitted, by order of the owners. Had I not told them, they may have risked upsetting the owners, so I suppose I have done both the owners and the enquirers a favour. As my post on the WCMS committee includes considering matters of access or otherwise to Surrey Mines, it was my responsibilty to make sure as many people as possible knew of the situation at Quarry Dean. This is why I posted a simple message about access to Quarry Dean on two internet forums and one notice board. If someone else in the club had this responsibility, then someone else's name would have appeared against them.

Everyone who has contacted me has received a polite and factual response. I have no reason to do any more or less than that.

I think I've missed the point of the 'taunt' :?

Peter Burgess

There is an ownership issue again at Quarry Dean Farm , following the death of another of the owners.

It was with much sadness that I received the news of the passing of Mr John Harrison. When I passed the word onto others who knew him, we agreed we should immediately send our condolences to the family. Those I spoke to were unfortunately not able to attend the funeral service. The Wealden Cave and Mine Society sent a donation to a cause of the family's choice, which has been acknowledged and appreciated.

An obituary was written for our members' newsletter to mark the passing of a true gentleman, and was without any hesitation that a copy of this obituary was also passed to the family.

bubba

Administrator
cap 'n chris said:

It strikes me that whoever runs that site is a power-crazed, self-important cock. If I was faced with landowners with an attitude like that, then I'd just trespass....but hey, that's just me.

And Hole_in_the_Rock, you are one of the snidiest posters I've ever had the displeasure to meet on a forum.

AndyF

bubba said:
cap 'n chris said:

It strikes me that whoever runs that site is a power-crazed, self-important cock. If I was faced with landowners with an attitude like that, then I'd just trespass....but hey, that's just me.

And Hole_in_the_Rock, you are one of the snidiest posters I've ever had the displeasure to meet on a forum.

Here here!

What is it about this place? QDF is just a pretty boring pillar and stall mine IIRC, and like many others in the area. If the owners don't want to allow access, fine, their right. But they seem to want to just want to make people jump through hoops and be carrying out some kind of vendetta. Get a life FFS. The world is a beautiful place, get out, enjoy it...get out of your petty little mindset. Life is too short for this kind of cr*p.

If the trespassing was so serious, well why didn't they just gate the place, or blow the entrance? If this trespass occured under someone elses ownership, then it's not their business anyway.

Who cares about QDF anyway? Go to one of the other mines if you are a caver, leave these maniacs well alone.

To put up ANY web site that actually threatens visitors (with "listing" if they are a nuisance) is that act of obsessive madmen ("On the way to being barred for life we have:", "People harrassing us for access will have their names and the name of any club they belong to added to any list that appears on the access page") It's laughable that someone should go to that effort.

"Your name vil go on ze list, vot is it?", "Don't tell him Pike!"

Then it turns out that these people may not even OWN the place...LOL

Phew! there we go, have I done enough to get listed yet? Oh boo! hoo! I'd be so upset to be "banned for life" from QDF.. I think the sane members of the forum should hold an informal competition to see who can get "banned" first... :twisted:

OMG I laughed so much I nearly bought a round

bubba

Administrator
AndyF said:
QDF is just a pretty boring pillar and stall mine IIRC, and like many others in the area. If the owners don't want to allow access, fine, their right. But they seem to want to just want to make people jump through hoops and be carrying out some kind of vendetta. Get a life FFS. The world is a beautiful place, get out, enjoy it...get out of your petty little mindset. Life is too short for this kind of cr*p.

word to that.

Peter Burgess

What is it about this place?

It has some interest, in the context of the local stone workings. As a 'cave' it is nothing special. As an old mine working it is of some interest. As you say, there is much more in the area, and together they provide enough interest for local cavers to have kept a regular meets program going for many years.