Petzl duo 5?

TheVicar

Hi all, just been ebaying and seen a Petzl duo 5 Led Lamp. Will this be pretty useless for caving? The chaps I would usually ask are away for Easter. I have all my kit and all I need to sort now is a lamp, for as cheap as possible. I was told to get a 7 LED and upgrade it to a 14? That is starting to look mega expensive. Now I know you get what you pay for but would the Petzl 5 see me through until I can afford a better lamp? Also can you upgrade the 5 LED? or is it only the 7? Lastly if a 5 is suitable how much would you pay second hand roughly?
Any help and advice much appreciated

TheVicar

Seriously? That would be OK? Pick up a Duo 5 LED and spend 25quid on the spot upgrade?
Thanks for the reply much appreciated

blackholesun

As Stu says, don't bother upgrading to the 14.

The customduo is the best option around.

However, if you're strapped, for ?12 inc. p+p you can get a 1W LED bulb that simply screws into where the halogen bulb was. It'll be a little less efficient, but cheaper. Should last 8 hours with decent rechargeables on its only setting.

At a wild guess, ?40 probably seems reasonable. Try asking on here as well; there's usually someone with an unused duo.

Stu

And John (Biff) is really helpful if  you have any questions about fitting or such like.

TheVicar

The one off the torch site looks a bit too good to be true for a tenner!? However I could stretch to the Gecko if need be? Is that what you would go for out of choice?

Stu

If you're on a budget the screw in will do... just.  The extra money spent on the Gecko will be forgotten about once you start using it.

blackholesun

Agreed.

Seriously, its worth posting on here to see if someones got a duo spare. I can't promise anything but if they do, it'll usually be cheaper than on ebay.

PaulW

i have spare 14 led insert, but you would be best changing the led to one of biffs inserts, the reflectormay need a little modification, or alternatively if budget will stretch one of the new inserts that replaces bothe the spot and the led.

TheVicar

Didn't win the Duo :( But have been looking a bit more. the Fenix HP11 looks good value for money? How easy is it to fix something like that to your lid? Also I can't see anywhere that its waterproof? The worst it will see will be dipping under the sumps in Swildon's, would it be up to it?

PaulW

dont know how much they are,but if they are around the ?50 mark,i would consider looking at a petzl pixa 3

TheVicar

The Petzl only has an output of 50 lumens compared to the Fenix at about 200 odd? I don't know much as you may have gathered already :-s

Lastly on  a rather mundane subject for you all. How on earth would you fit something like the Fenix to your lid? Is it a case of drilling or can you buy mounts? Or does anybody ever just chuck the elasticated head band over the top of the lid, that seems too easy, or is that a bit naff and a bit of a no no? 

zomjon

you could always buy some cheap helmet clips, they do the job pretty well, as for the fenix hp11, a lot of people rate them very highly and a mate of mine recently bought one after being very disappointed in his duo insert and he thinks it's great.

TheVicar

When you say helmet clips, are they the ones that hold the elastic head band in place? So you do not need to attach the light directly onto the helmet its held in place with the head band instead? Sorry for being a bit dim

TheVicar

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Is it pretty much accepted to wear a lamp with the clips etc or am I going to look obviously like the new bloke lol