Small winch, free to a good home, Dales

Pitlamp

Does anyone want a small winch? It's a strange-looking one, consisting of a spool with lightweight steel cable and (I think) a ratchet. It looks almost like something you'd bolt on a Land Rover bumper but the cable is too lightweight for Land River recovery. The shaft which needs to be turned would probably need some modification to be able to operate the winch by hand but it might just be useful for a dig somewhere. (It reminds me of the small wire winch which was used to great effect at the head of the second underground shaft below the entrance shaft of the Titan dig at Castleton.)

There should be a photo of this on my camera, which also includes someone's size 8 foot, for scale. I never did crack uploading photos on here so I'll ask Badlad if he'll kindly stick it on here for me.

Anyway - free to a good home but must be collected from the Dales.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Here it is

wl

Pitlamp

Hey, that was quick! Many thanks Badlad.

You can see the ratchet on the shaft, next to the frame.

By the way, does anyone know what the original use for such winches might be? (I've not seen one exactly like this before.)

ali_mac

Looks like the kind of thing you might expect to see in a theater, for raising and lowering... theatery stuff....