Sit-In Harness question

T

Titch98

:?:

Just out of interest, what sit-in harness do people use?

I use a Petzl Superavanti, but find it uncomfortable around the back of the thighs after a bit of time, especially on long descents/ ascents. Thinking of either replacing it with something a bit more padded on the leg loops, or adding a bit of padding to my existing harness.

bubba

Administrator
I use the same harness and never had any trouble with it, but then the biggest pitch it's seen is probably one of the big ones in Eldon Hole. Had no problems though - try eating more to gain a bit of padding :D

N

Neil B

I use a Super Avanti too. I like it - it feels very well made so inspires confidence and the reinforced legloops are ideal in a caving environment. Like Titch, I also find it a little uncomfortable round the thighs but have always convinced myself that it's not supposed to be comfortable. But now that you mention it, there's no reason why a harness shouldn't be comfortable. :)

SamT

I think mine is a Petzl asti spamanti or what ever they're called.
(purple thing, chunky black webbing to put your big D on. 2 simple red tags for gear.)

Could have had a more expensive one with metal clips for your D (which would make life a little simpler but a: it was more expensive and b: the extra straps round the waist looked faffy. Plus I dont reckon it would be any more comfy.

Found it great so far. Its the only bit of kit that so far has shown no signs of wearing out. (I hope :shock: )

Would padding make any difference since the straps are already under a layer of thermals/furry suit/ oversuit.

Climbing harnesses are padded and soft since they are designed to be worn next to the skin by french birds in bikini's. (having flash backs to bouxe c1995 <3 )

any harness is uncomfortable is your sat in it for any length of time. sommat to do with blood supply, thats why Rope Access guy's use planks to sit on.

bubba

Administrator
It's Buoux you heathen :wink:

See this article for a tasty overview of suspension trauma:

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0500/d000568/d000568.html

paul

I've been using an old Petzl Fractio which was always comfortable. It's just been replaced by a "Digger" harness from Bernie's which is identical except for the colour and cost about 35 quid. I've only worn it once so far and it feels just as comfortable.

M

mudman

I've got an old avanti thing. I decided that I needed to get a new one, especially as I'd grown larger. So on a trip to Ireby Fell, I bought a cheapy East European thing. Biggest mistake ever. Okay going down, but prusiking back up my nuts would get caught in the leg loops with each sit/stand. :shock: Sit down, nuts slip under the loops, stand, squeal, get them released. No matter what I did, they still got caught.
Took ages coming out. Explaining to a lass that was with me what had happened she said 'I thought you were just slow. But I did wonder why you were wimpering'.

Someone did want to buy the thing off of me but I wouldn't do that to a friend. Anyway, I'm saving them for when someone I don't like needs to borrow some kit. :twisted:

Johnny

I use the basic Petzl jobby, the one without the metal central connections.
It's compact, tough and comfy enough as well as situating the croll close to my bollocks which I have heard makes it more efficient.
Have used an old Petzle work harness, Navaho (?), very comfy but a bit big.
Once had a Caving Supplies harness which was heinously uncomfortable and kept trapping my balls :shock:

Stu

mudman said:
I bought a cheapy East European thing. Biggest mistake ever. Okay going down, but prusiking back up my nuts would get caught in the leg loops with each sit/stand. :shock: Sit down, nuts slip under the loops, stand, squeal, get them released. No matter what I did, they still got caught.

i know the one you mean.... :freak:

Rachel

Could have had a more expensive one with metal clips for your D (which would make life a little simpler but a: it was more expensive and b: the extra straps round the waist looked faffy.

Dead right. I'm seriously considering hacking the silly red tat off mine - all it does is twist, tangle and piss me off.

:x

Rach

H

Huw Groucutt

pretzl avanti...standard one....but then i dont do much SRT.....Pwll Dwfn gets a bit limited after three trips! Someone needs to find a few more south wales SRT caves!

SamT

Rachel said:
I'm seriously considering hacking the silly red tat off mine - all it does is twist, tangle and piss me off.

'thee does reet' as they say in sheffield - A couple of friends have them and I think the metal clips look great but they too spend about 10 mins untangling them - and thats in the car park - let alone once you get to a pitch head thats a bit cramped or even flat out.

Brendan

I use the Digger harness from Bernies - I think it's a Singing Rock. Got it to replace my old Petzl super-avanti, and I think it is great. It's got the double straps round the back like one of the old Petzl harnesses, which I like. Haven't seen it on sale anywhere else though.

ian mckenzie

I used to use whatever was cheapest and lightest-weight. I'm currently using a heavier rescue harness from Bob & Bob in the USA - had to hacksaw off the steel tie-in ring and replace it with a maillon, but the leg lops are super wide and, since its designed for caving, there are no gear loops or dangly bits.