The Perfect Chest Strap?

underground

I'm looking for ideas here, so if anyone has any, they would be gratefully received.
Basically, I find a strap and buckle on my Croll hopeless, as it is really hard to get it tight enough even when on the rope.
So I tried an elastic one, which is strangling off the rope although the stretch allows standing etc, however I'm finding that the stretch is also making me lean too far back on the rope too.

So I want to know what everyone else does, or what I'm doing wrong...

Stu

ive only ever used elastic to hold the croll in place when i work in rope access. dont think it can be recommended in caving in case you turn upside down (assuming you dont bother with load bearing chest harness/strap as well). i tend to cinch the straps tight/loose as the conditions dictate.

W

Wooffy

I use a "Bra type chest harness" Bought from Bernies in Ingleton - although others sell em too ! They come in different styles and thickness of webbing to make them suitable for different needs. 'coz it is held in place by an easy to undo buckle I slacken this off to stand / walk etc.. It certainly holds the Croll upright and tight.

I used to use a standard troll chest tape with a buckle but find this much better in terms of ease of use, support offered when SRTing, and it has two metal rings that act as gear loops for a couple of maillons (or similar) really good.

Hope this helps,

Wooffy

PS: No, I'm not on commission !

H

Huw Groucutt

I use the crappy petzl one, but not for much longer. The Dragon bra style harness is meant to be good.

seamoose

I use a sling made out of about 8mm dynamic.

Then put it over your shoulder/ head, twist in two and put your other arm through the hole (well somethin like that!). Attach at the front with a maillon or 'clip' thing.

Then just clip into your Croll when ready to prusik...
...seems to work pretty well :D

Jase

ian mckenzie

Sorry to post so late on a 'dead' topic... I used to use an elastic chest 'harness', a section of tire innertube thru the Croll eye and round the neck. Worked well, except when you clipped a tacklebag into your central maillon. So I switched to one-inch tubular webbing worn as a sash - a loop tied thru your croll, you slip it over your head and put one arm thru, so basically you tow the Croll with one shoulder. You pull your arm out (so its just round your neck) if you want some slack or are wearing extra-thick clothes. Once knotted to the right length I never change it and it always works fine. Damn things aren't supposed to be comfortable anyways.

bubba

Administrator
ian mckenzie said:
Sorry to post so late on a 'dead' topic...
That's ok Ian, thanks for your input :) The idea is to build up a good resource of information so posting to this sort of topic is always useful.

E

eyecave

:eek: underground, when you get on rope the proper thing to do is to cinch up the chest harness-ascender-attachment till it is too tight....make it uncomfortable and have it as high up your torso as possible, near your ears if you can....make it hard to breathe.........when you begin your climb the weight of your body will tighten the harnesses more than your arms can and you will sag some......in any climbing system the more you deviate from vertical the worse is the climb and the less efficient is the system....by tightening the straps and devices you expend energy more efficiently... you are exactly correct when you say that laying back as you climb iz bad!!!...... :shock:

T

Titch98

I use the Petzl Torse Shoulder strap and have had no major problems with it's use. Minor problem with this, is that it does tend to twist up a little after a bit of usage. But hey, it only takes a few seconds to sort that one out. Just remember to loosen it off before you try to stand upright after getting off yer rope!!

:shock: