Meregill

Cave_Troll

Does anyone know of a method of getting below the 2nd pitch in meregill that does not involve rope or bouncing?

newcastlecaver

"Does anyone know of a method of getting below the 2nd pitch in meregill that does not involve rope or bouncing?"

ladders :LOL:

not the answer you are probably looking for but worth pointing out.

failing that, wait till the mere is down and sail in on a lilo or a small dinghy, then, wait till the water rises (dramatically) and float up to the top of the aven entrance and crawl out!

langcliffe

danthecavingman said:
What???? And free climb up the pitches from the bottom?

With respect, the downstream sump of Meregill is below the second pitch. O.K., I agree that it's some distance below, but one can only answer the question asked.

Cave_Troll

ok pedants... imagine you're a sheep.
stop looking over your shoulder in fear, there are no SWCC members nearby.
You want to get to below the 2nd pitch in Meregill. You don't know SRT, or how to cave dive and then bolt climb up the pitches. Lacking thumbs, throwing rocks down a pitch is also impractical
Is there a secret crawly way in known to people or only to sheep or is it more likely that you'd bounce down the pitches without seriously hurting yourself.

Duncan

Cave_Troll said:
ok pedants... imagine you're a sheep.
Baaa...baa.........baaaa!

Is there a secret crawly way in known to people or only to sheep or is it more likely that you'd bounce down the pitches without seriously hurting yourself.
Baaaa....baaa...baa....baaaa....
baa......baa.....baaaaaaa..baaa.....
...baaa..(munch munch)....baa..baaa...
baa-aa....baaa....baaa...BAAA!

Cave_Troll

maybe i should have mentioned that you're a sheep that can speak english.
Actually i think i'm going to give up and try again

Pissing myself laughing at Duncans avatar!!!! F**kin brilliant!
Someone kill me, please, I cant stop laughing.....
Collis I am going to get you for that!!!
Try saying it in a PB voice, I dare you.....

M

MSD

Speaking as someone who HAS dived from Roaring Hole and thence out of Meregill, arriving at the bottom of the second pitch without having descended it, I can report that doing it the ordinary way is rather less effort.

No, there are no crawly ways (that I know of) to bypass the second pitch. What intrigues me is how do you propose to tackle the first pitch? I suppose you could take a running jump into the Mere, but there are a few boulders you need to take care to miss :)

The other thing that I wonder about, is having tackled the second pitch by a mysterious non-bouncy crawly bypass, what happens then? You still have pitches three to seven to negotiate!