Which caves?

D

donna

Can anybody recommend caves for novices which will not be currently flooded? I took up caving earlier this year at long last (I'm nearly 40!) with a colleague. We have done Dow, Great Douk, part of Scoska. All good. Yesterday went in Kelcoe as a friend said he thought it was a good beginners cave. Disappointing as it is small and has not much to offer but a sludgy crawl. Can anyone suggest something more interesting?
I don't mind muddy crawls but want a bit more besides.
Still it was my first time squirming through mud and I really enjoyed it. I felt like a real caver when I emerged covered from head to foot in sludge!

Rachel

The usual classic beginners caves are -
Long Churn/Wilsons/Borrins Moor
(although I'd recommend doing Long Churn with someone who knows it well in case you go wandering off down Diccan or Alum - oops)
Browgill/Old Ing/Birkwith
Valley Entrance
Katnot
Thistle/Runtscar

or if you're feeling a bit more adventurous and in need of serious mud, mistral is good, but needs a bit of rope on the entrance as it gets a bit slippery with wet moss. Cliff force cave is great for mud too, but finding the way back out can be a bit iffy! Have fun :LOL:

kay

No guarantees about being OK in this weather, but there's also High Douk Holes above Great Douk/Middle Washfold

I like Roger Kirk and Roger Kirk West Sink at Ribblehead - Roger Kirk top entrance involves a slide on your back through a (very short) wet tube and W Sink is a bit crawly, but there's nothing to stop you going in at the bottom and working your way up. Again, no idea what it'll be like, say, this weekend.

M

mickw

have you done s r t if so sell gill is good
if you whant ill rige it for you
mick