Check your junk mail

adam

I've just happened upon a 'test' email from the BCA in my junk mail folder. It's not unlikely that other people's email systems have been similarly overzealous. Given that they'll soon be sending out a ballot by email, it's probably worth adding their address to your 'safe' list.

Safe 8)

crickleymal

They'd sent one to my old email address. Fortunately it's still sort of active (dunno why BT haven't switched it off yet).

Bob Mehew

This is the first time BCA has need to use its collection of email addresses, so we felt it was appropriate to check they worked before we went to issue the ballot paper.  Of the 4000+ messages sent, only 6% bounced.  Those people have been switched to the posting list.  As for those whose email went to their junk mail bin, we have few ways of coping with that other than through this type of message system.  But your comment has prompted me to organise to send a reminder to club secretaries to remind their members that they should have individually got the ballot paper plus put a notice up on BCA web site and Facebook.  Thanks Adam. 

Our aim is to send out the email conveying the ballot paper some time next week.  The ballot paper will go to the printer / mailer tomorrow so hopefully it will be landing on peoples doorsteps next week. 

Bob Mehew
for BCA Executive

Alkapton

I only find out about ballot from this thread and I'd not had one, so I look in spam and there it was.

So if BCA is dependent on members getting the message people must go looking for it.  Despite being member of a Club I am very unlikely to receive any warning from my club as are the other members.  I see this as a potential mega-problem in the near future :(

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't received an e-mail from BCA, in spam or anywhere  :(

Please post details of the ballot on here and I will ensure it's publicised so as many cavers as possible VOTE!  (y) (y)

Bob Mehew

Alkapton said:
Despite being member of a Club I am very unlikely to receive any warning from my club as are the other members. 
As I said I will organise to send a reminder to club secretaries to remind their members that they should have individually got the ballot paper.  The first email was just a check so little was lost by members.  The text was

At the recent AGM several proposals to amend the BCA Constitution were passed including the removal of the sentence which some have held is an impediment to BCA campaigning for the Countryside and Rights of Way Act to apply to caving.

That has triggered a ballot of all members since changes to the Constitution must be ratified by the entire membership. The ballot is currently being organised. To save money email addresses will be used wherever possible, hence this email to you.

Since this will be the first time we have used the entire email address list that we hold we felt it was worth sending this pre-ballot email to check that the addresses were working. We will collect any bounced messages and revert to using the post to issue ballot papers for those with a failing email address.

Your ballot paper will be issued by late August with a return by date of 23rd September. The results will be announced at BCA Council meeting on 7th October.

You don't need to do anything now but if you wish to read up on the proposals, the AGM Minutes are available at http://tinyurl.com/GoToBCAagm

You can opt-out of receiving administrative emails, such as this, or opt-in to receiving the BCA Newsletter by altering your email preferences via the members' section of the website at BCA-Online at http://tinyurl.com/GoToBCAonline

If you have any questions please don't reply to this email but contact the Secretary at secretary at british-caving.org.uk instead.

The sender is a new domain especially created for this role.

Aubrey

The new domain "vote.british-caving.org.uk" is hosted on the BCA server which does not have a good history for email delivery.
Unless the various Domain Name System utilities give the domain a clean bill of health some email providers are likely to reject emails as spam and others will treat them as junk.

TheBitterEnd

Bob Mehew said:
As I said I will organise to send a reminder to club secretaries to remind their members that they should have individually got the ballot paper. 
I'm a club secretary and I didn't get the test email, so that plan might not work...

CatM

Pegasus said:

Please post details of the ballot on here and I will ensure it's publicised so as many cavers as possible VOTE!  [emoji106] [emoji106]
I haven't received anything either, in inbox or junk mail. I do get the BCA newsletters though so they must have the right email address! Odd.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Bob Mehew

First apologies, the test email was sent from a modified domain name as Aubery states.  For security purposes, we have obtained a new domain name for members to send their vote into. 

I am not going to look up to see if we hold peoples' email addresses as I would be completely overwhelmed.  We know our club contacts list works so the check email was not sent to them. 

I will declare a date in due course after which if you have not got a ballot paper by post or email, then you can contact the BCA Secretary.  The ballot closes on 23 September so there should be enough time to catch up on failed deliveries.

Bob Mehew
for BCA Exec

Cookie

JohnMCooper said:
Mine automatically went into Span as well. Must be something dodgy with the sender?

It could be the content. I have a suspicion it doesn't like the phpList promo at the bottom of the email.

I left it in since I think it only fair to promote the developers who've shared their hard work for free.

However if it is causing problems I'll take that out for the next mailshot.

Cookie

Aubrey said:
The new domain "vote.british-caving.org.uk" is hosted on the BCA server which does not have a good history for email delivery.
Unless the various Domain Name System utilities give the domain a clean bill of health some email providers are likely to reject emails as spam and others will treat them as junk.

The server did go through a sticky patch several months ago but that has long since been fixed.

The BCA server has a 97% good rating on Server Score.

Cookie

Pegasus said:

Hi Jane,

The BCA does not hold your email address. The renewal system can't cope with the second email address for joint members.  Sorry. We know about it and it will be fixed eventually.

Cookie

CatM said:
I haven't received anything either, in inbox or junk mail. I do get the BCA newsletters though so they must have the right email address! Odd.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Hi Cat,

If you are the Cat I think you are. This is a complex one.

The BCA-Online database does hold your address which was supplied in a prior year. However the BPC didn't forward your email this year on the membership renewal spreadsheet. In effect that spreadsheet was used rather than the BCA-Online database and therefore we didn't have an email address for you. Sorry.

I'll endeavor to stop that happening in the future but more than likely this time around you'll receive a snail mail ballot paper.