Charterhouse Area - 3D Survey Project

graham

Owing to the immense generosity of many Mendip caving clubs and cave surveyors in sharing their data with ours, we have been able to add a further 3d file to the UBSS Cave Survey Archive page. This shows the Cheddar catchment, or at least that part of it that includes Cheddar Gorge, Velvet Bottom and the swallet caves on the south side of Blackdown.

Particular thanks are due in this instance to Phil Rowsell, the Mendip Caving Group, Alex Crow, the late Willie Stanton and, of course, the Charterhouse cave team.

It is hoped/intended to keep this model growing as more data becomes available and as more archive data (we still have lots) is transcribed and added to. If anyone has any data that they wish to contribute to this model (or to any of the others on the page linked to above) please let me know.

Duncan Price

Very nice - especially with the surface grid on and you can see the caves in relation to Cheddar Gorrge, Velvet Bottom etc.

I understand that the bottom of Charterhouse is now below the level of the resurgence!?

graham

More updates applied. Look in particular at the .lox file for the Therion viewer. I am well impressed with this.

Not all these updates have yet been made to the 3d model, I'll change that later after a bit more work.

graham

I have just uploaded new Therion "lox" files of the Charterhouse area and also the Burrington area, using open source OS map overlays. Both are available via the survey pafge on the UBSS website http://www.ubss.org.uk/cave_survey_archive.php

These remain very much "works in progress" but the Charterhouse one does include the 2010 extensions to Charterhouse Cave (though not the reported 1 m extension to Reservoir Hole reported in the latest Descent!) I am hoping to add more data in the near future.