Any news on hydrology in speedwell?

alastairgott

Just curious, is there any (recent) news on the hydrology of speedwell, please can you let me know as i'm interested, PM me if you don't want the whole world to know.

Pitlamp

Any particular aspect of Speedwell's hydrology? If you can amplify a bit there may be one or two things to tell.

I do know that Peak was flooded yesterday so the hydrology in Speedwell today must be moderately horrendous!

EwanCameron

Was underground yesterday in the area and have truly never seen water like it in my life it's was amazing to behold

alastairgott

sorry, might have confused people. Along the lines of speaking to ball, westlake and gunn.

But i only really know clive, and even then i don't have anyway of asking.

He went down with the others a couple of weeks ago to pick up some data from the data loggers. In an attempt to work out the odd ebbs and flows that occur between whirlpool and main rising.

But i don't know how they got on, and i'm getting curious of the history of this project and where else they have put data loggers to get a relationship. (pitlamp could be able to help i suppose)

Anyway, i'm sure i can wait until a journal is published, i should keep my nose out.

Pitlamp

I don't think there's any secret about the data Nigel Ball and John Gunn have been collecting. I think John said he was presenting a paper on it a few weeks ago somewhere (Hungary if I remember right).

I've seen the data and they are extremely impressive; the flow variations in the Speedwell streamway are very scary (and I have witnessed this directly myself). It makes me extremely wary of being in the Lower Bung streamway downstream of Treasury; the passage is much smaller that upstream of Treasury and it slopes a lot more. Not the place to be if one of those pulses strikes.

If you wanted a general overview of all the Peak system hydrology there's one on Wayne's Peak and Speedwell website (which was written especially for it).

Pitlamp

Ah - just received your PM Alastair - have sent you a reply which should sort out what you're interested to know about.