Access to Titan entrance shaft suspended

cap n chris

Has this already been posted somewhere and I've not noticed?

Precautionary Closure of the Titan Entrance Shaft

Report date 1-1-15, published 2-1-15

With immediate effect access to the Titan Entrance Shaft has been suspended. The middle section of the shaft is lined with heavy duty glass fibre rings, and six of these, along with their associated steel fittings, are showing signs of severe deformation and are highly likely to fail, at any time.

http://www.peakdistrictcaving.info/cave1501.htm

Moose

We're going to install some temporary bracing this weekend but I'm sufficiently concerned about the integrity of the lining to suspending access.

More updates as we progress................

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Such a shame this has happened after all the work putting the shaft in place, hope you can get it sorted soon. Good luck, Moose - keep us posted.

Moose

Just a quick update :

We've had a fairly successful weekend and thanks to all who assisted one way or another. There's now an array of bracing in the worst affected parts of the shaft which ought to prevent any major failure of the current linings.

There are currently discussions ongoing about how we tackle the problem in order to achieve a long term solution. Although it may take a while to resolve I am confident that we will restore access later in the year for cavers to safely enter/exit via the Titan entrance shaft.

cap n chris

Thanks for the quick and informative update, Moose, and news that work has been happening pretty nearly immediately: keeping people up to speed is much appreciated.