Portland Caves.

mikekushy

Hi all,

I don't suppose anyone has surveys for caves, in Portland?

In particular Guano Rift to Flagpole Cave....or, Sandy Hole to Blacknor.

Thanks.

rhychydwr1

There is a book...

I have been told not to say that! 

So here it is:

THE CAVES OF THE ISLE OF PORTLAND by Mike O'Connor and Nigel Graham with additional material by Mike Read and Andy Mactavish  WCC Occ Pub Ser 3 No 3  1996  104 pp illus surveys.  Portland is famous for the HM Verne Prison which is probably the reason the WCC members went there in the first place!  So if you tire of sun bathing on the Weymouth beach, then just amble along the coast to the best caving area in the south of England.  SB ?12.00

Not sure if is still available.  Best ask the Wessex.  :eek:

Malaka

Does anybody have a copy of this book or surveys lying around/for sale?

I got up to the Blacknor entrance a couple of months ago but my partner struggled with the climb so I didn't actually get to explore, would be interested to see what else is on the island

Edit: Just noticed there's a recent Portland topic in the same forum, apologies if they're covering similar ground

rhychydwr1

Published by the Wessex.  You need to ask them if they have any copies left.  Otherwise it is your local caving club library.

mikem

The Wessex had been to Flagpole/Guano shortly before Kushy posted:
https://floscaves.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/09082014-caves-of-portland-kind-of/

Mike

NigelG

Warning above duly noted...

And I have only just spotted the thread!

The Wessex book is now on the MCRA, though not yet with its surveys and other diagrams. it's a bit awkward to read as it is one enormous 'Word' file so the pagination goes all wonky, but at least it's there.

The surveys are to follow in due course, when I'm able to copy the artwork, or have it copied.