Wanted - Non perforated flexible plastic pipe/hose

martinb

Hi folks,

Wanted for ongoing digging project - at least 5m - maybe 10m of 100mm plastic flexible pipe/hose.

We have a small but annoying streamlet/supply of water that comes in at one end of our dig through an installed 4" pipe and currently flows right through where we sit/grovel/crouch and dig. We wish to connect it to said pipe and channel it down the slot where it currently flows without soaking us to the skin and eroding a mud wall

I've checked fleabay and gumtree but to no avail.

I'm located in Derbyshire near J29 M1, dig is near Castleton, Derbyshire, can pick up enroute.

PM me if you can help.

AR

There may be something suitable at Magpie Mine, though I won't have chance to take a look until next weekend at the earliest.

martinb

AR said:
There may be something suitable at Magpie Mine, though I won't have chance to take a look until next weekend at the earliest.

Thats absolutely fine, I may be passing Magpie on my way to/from Buxton on Friday Pm if thats any help.

AR

I've had a look and everything at Magpie is either rigid or ancient perished rubber/steel pipe. However, I have remembered having seen some abandoned twinwall a while back  - no idea if it's still there but PM  me if you want details

Pitlamp

MartinB - if you do source some to purchase please can you add a note here of where it's available? It's potentially useful to know for the future. Thanks.

Pitlamp

Thanks Moose - trouble is it's a fair way from the Dales.

We now have a need for a flexible pipe like the one the OP was trying to source.

Anyone know a suitable product, minimum 75 mm diameter? (Don't want to use layflat as it's a long run and it'd cause backing up - which would defeat the object.)

Big Jim

Found this at work in skip today. Looks like used for air ducting but may be OK. Its like a rubbery plastic with a steel coil around it. One length only about 3m long but a longer piece buried.... Ive attached as PDF as cant work out how tyo upload image.... hope it works.....

Big Jim

That didn't seem to work, so trying again.... fecking technology...

Attachments

• pipe2.pdf
    174.6 KB · Views: 113

martinb

Big Jim said:
That didn't seem to work, so trying again.... fecking technology...

That may do - is it about 100mm? I've got some plastic 150mm pipe but its not very flexible, so discarded that.

I've not been to Brough Mill as my speleowagon has throw its water pump pulley somehwere on the M1 twixt J26 and J27!  :mad:

Big Jim

Yep its about 4" or 100mm. The stick in between is a broom handle to give you idea of scale. I'm at work tomorrow but cant really go skip raiding in uniform. Ill try and nip up Monday when I'm off and dig it all out. Best you PM me your mob no so I can call you when Ive got it.

Pitlamp

Thanks Jim - that looks ideal for the job we have in the Dales. Does anyone know what that's called or where it can be bought from? Yes, we want to buy it, potentially (i.e. not necessarily scrounge it for once!).

Big Jim

John I found some via Google but it's about 10-15 quid a meter. 😮 hopefully the 7m I've found will be OK for Martin b. It's air ducting but the stuff I found is rubber rather than foil stuff so should be OK for carrying water.

Duncan Price

Pitlamp said:
Thanks Jim - that looks ideal for the job we have in the Dales. Does anyone know what that's called or where it can be bought from? Yes, we want to buy it, potentially (i.e. not necessarily scrounge it for once!).

We use at  it to connect the exhausts from our equipment to the extract ducting.  I'll find out where we get it from and let you know. It is (toxic/flammable) gas tight and will hold water if we get condensation in the exhaust lines.

martinb

Thought peeps might like an update after collecting and installing said pipe.

Dragged pipe down to dig last night, although that was an effort as it was like fighting a boa constrictor at some points!

We removed all the plastic downpipe and shoved the flexi pipe into the hole and sealed with mud (something our dig has plenty of), tidied up the small chamber and tucked the pipe away along the rear wall. My mate then had great fun filling the pipe with water and accidentally spraying me with the contents as he tidied round.  :yucky:

We then connected another length of pipe and unravelled it to the dig face, about 2m lower and 2m further on. We then lifted the end of the pipe, allowing it to fill up before letting loose a veritable torrent of water down the slot which draughts like buggery. We did this a couple of times before leaving the pipe emptying itself down the slot.

Hopefully when we go back in a couple of weeks, some of the fill will have been washed away and we can have a go at entering whatever void is there.

(y) to Big Jim