Castleton Caves new book by Trevor Ford

moorebooks

This book came out during the last week before Christmas I guess a lot were pre ordered, if you haven't seen a copy its an excellent read, includes surveys and plans of the major systems and is supported by black and white photos throughout plus a further 32pages of Paul Deakins Colour Photos ( better quality gloss paper would have enhanced these a great deal it is a shame the publisher chose a dull matt finish)

its is 128 pages, softback size 246 x 172 - price ?9.99 ( I will do this post free to UK Caving subscribers till the end of this month just mention this when ordering) :clap:
see

http://www.moorebooks.co.uk/shelves/cart.php?target=product&product_id=18953&category_id=355

Publishers description as follows:-
Despite the fact that visitors have been marvelling at the Peak Cavern in Castleton and the Eldon Hole nearby for over 200 years, we have had to wait until now to read a book on all the various systems which have been found Author and the Peak?s foremost geologist, Trevor Ford, spent his early years exploring the caves and is the first to admit that age has now robbed him of the ability to go underground again. This is a pity, for his worthy successors have found two enormous systems ? Titan and Leviathan ? which are the deepest in the country. Even if you have no desire to set off on a 500ft descent of one of these monsters, or wade through passages full of fast flowing water, the fantastic work of underground photographer Paul Deakin shows you what you may be glad you are missing. Paul?s incredible technique and skill has produced images of passages stretching into the distance. Even the vast height of Titan and Leviathan were mastered as cavers were caught by his lens, making their descent hundreds of feet above him Trevor Ford describes the cave systems (and there are many) in detail and tantalisingly speculates on others which have been lost or offer potential sites for new discoveries. There are numerous plans and diagrams as well as the photographs mentioned above ?Castleton Caves? will be an eye opener to most casual observers of caving.

Rob

graham said:
There is one historical inaccuracy however.
That more than 350m of passage in Peak Cavern is not mentined about?  ;)

It is a good book, with some interesting articles. However almost all of the "important" literature can be found in Cave Science Vol. 18 #1, often word for word. And also a brand new book with no pictures or "updates" from within the last ten years; bit late...

underground

Question is then Rob; is it worth a tenner? Dunno if I can get hold of that Cave Science editionfor less than a tenner's effort.... and of course, which 350m of passage? (and I don't mean your new bit  ;) But I heard from another source that it's missed a chunk out....

moorebooks

I always take the view publish and be dammed. I don't think there has been a caving or mining related guide book that hasn't had criticism from some quarter. Having been involved in the recent book on Snailbeach it is incredible to note how difficult it can be to gather all the information you want and no matter how many proof reads and requests  nothing is said until it is actually printed. I am not saying that this is deliberate as sensitivities and author polotics also come into the mix

What i will say it is a very well illustrated Caving book, if you are a collector it will sit very nicely on the shelf and apart from one flaw which has been identified, by today's book costs it is relatively cheap and will provide you with a wealth of information

Mike
PS If ordering the book via my website it will show postage charges but these are waived by myself and you will not be charged for this until 31st January :) :)

Peter Burgess

moorebooks said:
I always take the view publish and be dammed. I don't think there has been a caving or mining related guide book that hasn't had criticism from some quarter. Having been involved in the recent book on Snailbeach it is incredible to note how difficult it can be to gather all the information you want and no matter how many proof reads and requests  nothing is said until it is actually printed. I am not saying that this is deliberate as sensitivities and author polotics also come into the mix

Quite.

Rob

underground said:
Question is then Rob; is it worth a tenner?
Depends how many tenners you've got!

It was worth one of mine, but only just, and considering it's my favourite cave in the world...

Pitlamp

I don't think it's too important if there are a few inaccuracies (such as Far Sump Extension being wrongly named); Trevor has been forced to finish active caving due to advancing years but he has a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on - which was his aim in producing this book. It's certainly got some good stuff in it.

None of us is perfect but most of us have useful things to offer if folk will listen.

Incidentally many cavers might not realise just how much we owe to Trevor Ford; a lot of current knowledge about Peak District caves can be attributed to him. Does anyone remember that Radio 4 programme a few years ago called "On Giants' Shoulders"? It was about how most celebrated breakthroughs in science rely on what other people have done before. The "Giants" referred to in that programme were people like Isaac Newton. In many ways Trevor is the Peak District's own caving "Giant", on whose shoulders many of us have very definitely ridden for many years.

Les W

I repeat what I said earlier in this thread, 'tis a very fine publication. It certainly opened my eyes to a lot of stuff in Peak (and Speedwell) that I didn't know about. Lots more fine cave for me to visit.  (y)

Thanks Trevor, I feel I am now a bit more educated about the main caves of the Peak District. :bow:

underground

I shall be spending the tenner, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, as I'm in much the same boat as Les so 350m doesn't make any difference whatsoever, and I'm unlikely to get hold of the journal mentioned with any ease. I suspect many people will be in the same position and I'm looking forward to reading what sounds like a fine book.

Lu

I have bought the book last week from Moorebooks and have finished reading it today. It's really worth the money, I have learnt so much more.
It's very well written and the columns style makes it so much easier to read than a standard book page.
Everyone who goes to Derbyshire (even if not for caving) should buy this book. Great work! :clap:

Pitlamp

Underground - I'm not sure why you have the idea that the journal mentioned is difficult to get hold of. It's widely availalable in any half decent club library, especially those in Derbyshire. Even if you're not in a club with its own library most club librarians try to help with genuine requests, even from non club members. There seems to be a significant number of cavers who don't make use (or are even aware) of the fine publications heritage which British caving has produced over many decades. You should try dipping into it; if you enjoy Trevor's book you'll love the contents of a good caving library!

underground

Pitlamp said:
Underground - I'm not sure why you have the idea that the journal mentioned is difficult to get hold of. It's widely availalable in any half decent club library, especially those in Derbyshire. Even if you're not in a club with its own library most club librarians try to help with genuine requests, even from non club members. There seems to be a significant number of cavers who don't make use (or are even aware) of the fine publications heritage which British caving has produced over many decades. You should try dipping into it; if you enjoy Trevor's book you'll love the contents of a good caving library!

Ah, well I suppose I only mean in the sense that I can drop in at HnH any time I'm passing and have a book for the matter of a tenner that I can then keep, and browse as and when convenient - as opposed to taking a special visit to, say, the Eldon library - which is nowt really but would take some additional effort and time. Fully agree with what you're saying though John