helmets wanted for impoverished uni club

kay

oli said:
anyone want to sell theire old caving helmet to a bunch of broke students?

Think hard about this. Helmets are protective equipment. It is one thing as an individual to assess the history of a second-hand helmet and decide whether it is an acceptable risk for you. It is quite another as a club to provide secondhand helmets - if the worst happens, and someone has an injury as a result of failure of a helmet provided by the club, what would the position of the club be in law?

graham

Quite!

Expensive as it is, our lot cannot and do not use safety critical equipment whose history is unknown. Which essentially means buying stuff new.

Imo

You might be able to buy some second hand stock from one of the outdoor shops like Inglesport, who sell on their hired helmets and lamps from time to time.

seddon

Generally they'll be in good nick - and the guys keep their fixed lights up to standard, too. Worth talking to them, maybe.

AndyF

graham said:
Quite!

Expensive as it is, our lot cannot and do not use safety critical equipment whose history is unknown. Which essentially means buying stuff new.

Its healthand safety gone mad  ;)

Shops, after all, have no idea the histroy of their "hire" helmets....dropped down a pitch, run over by a sheep...who knows....

With a used helmet you have to use those rare 21st century commodities "common sense" and "you own judegement"

Does it have cracks, gouges, bits of hair stuck to it...??? No...? Then its probably o.k. (y)

K

Knobby

Oli,

Money for all university clubs is a problem... with club trips try charging a little extra which can be kept and used for the purchase of new kit. The same can be done when ordering hoodies and alike. It is awful making things a little more expensive but, at the end of the day, clubs need the money to purchase kit and stay alive. Sorry if this is obvious and already done.

Turner

i got an pezel elios. size 2 53-61cms in dark grey about 1.5yrs old but not caved for 9 months due to injury. few scratches and scuffs, maybe able to get a second one aswell. (same spec) pm me if interested

oli

graham said:
Quite!

I do get your point. But the history of uni club kit is an unknown. the life span of a helmet exceads the length of most degrees.

we are quite lucky that people who graduated 4 or 5 years ago are still kicking around, but when i give people club helmets I am working on the assumption that past kit secs would have retired any that got dropped off a pitch, i dont know that for a fact.
yeah, gears history should all be written down and passed on, but i'm willing to bet that more than half of incoming uni kit secs don't get this info. and even when they do they are taking it on good faith that its acurate. the list i got hasn't got gear on it that i know was brought in 2003.

and dont get me started on rope, which needs to be looked after properly.

when i think of the assumptions i make about our own gears history it seems pretty reasonable to take the word of a randomer on UKC about gear, and just exersise commen sense

Mark

Turner said:
i got an pezel elios. size 2 53-61cms in dark grey about 1.5yrs old but not caved for 9 months due to injury. few scratches and scuffs, maybe able to get a second one aswell. (same spec) pm me if interested

Looking at your profile picture, it doesn't appear to have a lamp bracket  ;)

Turner

Mark said:
Turner said:

Looking at your profile picture, it doesn't appear to have a lamp bracket  ;)

GTFO mother******!11! loooooooooli'm a baldist through choice !!!

look...http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/Earpl/photo02217hy.jpg

i had loads of it