Next best helmet?

JefeBo55

Hi all,

I have an ecrin roc that I know isn't going to last forever sadly and was wondering what the next best helmet is! For reference I also have  Vertex and find it really tall and I smash my head on everything!

Tia

PeteHall

A second hand ecrin?  :confused:

I started buying them up as soon as they got discontinued. I have 5, which I hope will last me a while yet.  :)

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=22643.0

Covid special. ?40.00 inc postage

Ian

phizz4

We have about 6 red ecrin rocs to dispose of. These were offered last year but there were no takers. They have been used by Scout groups, mainly in Devonshire. They all have two small holes drilled in the front where there used to be lamp brackets, and two in the lower back rim for a retaining cord. If anyone wants one, or more, let me know. They have all been washed and sanitised and stored in a dark, covid free, environment. The money will go to the Scouts so I am suggesting ?20 each plus ?5 postage, or all of them for ?100 post free. I will check on the exact number later today as they are in secure storage.

crickleymal

I've been using the Camp helmets from Go Outdoors. They seem to be ok apart from the name of course.😄 Just need a bracket attached.

Pitlamp

When we were working on the KMC East Kingsdale Branch to King Pot diving connection, one of the lads who turned up to help carry the gear one day forgot his helmet. No-one had a spare, so he removed a 7 inch rubber tank boot from a cylinder and wore that. Apparently it was surprisingly comfortable. Made him look a bit like a caving version of Tommy Cooper!

Simon Beck

crickleymal said:
I've been using the Camp helmets from Go Outdoors. They seem to be ok apart from the name of course.😄 Just need a bracket attached.

I'll second that. Keep meaning to buy another in case they get discontinued. The streamlined fit is definitely worth the sacrifice on safety.

crickleymal

Simon Beck said:
crickleymal said:

I'll second that. Keep meaning to buy another in case they get discontinued. The streamlined fit is definitely worth the sacrifice on safety.
What sacrifice on safety as a matter of interest?

Simon Beck

crickleymal said:
Simon Beck said:
crickleymal said:

What sacrifice on safety as a matter of interest?

On the model i?m referring (Camp Rockstar, sold at Go Outdoors) there is no suspension gap between cradle and outer shell.

Fulk

So . . . presumably the people who designed this helmet took that into account and figured that it would be 'fit for purpose'?

Ian Ball

rumour is that the foam pad in the helmet on top of your head got it through the tests. no idea if it's true or not or which tests.

andrewmcleod

If you were going for maximum safety, the new generation of Petzl helmets (e.g. the Boreo) offer much better side and rear protection than previous models, although obviously at the cost of long-term durability compared to an Ecrin Roc or a Vertex.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I used to be an Ecrin fan.  Not any more - far to heavy.  Once I started using much lighter caving lights I went for a much lighter helmet.  It's not everyone's taste but I really like the Alveo Vent.  For me they are a good fit but they don't last long as the foam detaches and the headband wears. 

I'm sure i've still got an new Ecrin somewhere but I think it is the industrial one with the different clasp.

NASIR

I've got a vertex vent and agreed the shape of it means I'm also hitting my head all the time. Also it doesn't help that I think my headsize is between two of the plastic adjustment stops. So it's either too tight or slips down my head a bit and constantly needs to be pushed back up. I will say that the closeable vents are surpisingly useful when it's blisteringly windy or I find myself too warm in a cave

phizz4

I'm a big fan of the Edelrid Ultralight. Fits my head shape better than any Petzl hlemet that I have tried.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edelrid-Ultralight-Mens-Climbing-Helmet/dp/B00438QGVM