Water Levels

SamT

Hi all,  Any idea of current water levels in the peak.  In particular the Bradwell catchment.  I'm expecting their quite high but haven't driven past Bradwell brook recently. 

Does anyone know if the resurgence giving it both barrels.

Peregrina

Peak flooded overnight, the showcave is just running entrance tours. It dropped a couple of inches in the last few hours, but it's still very wet.

With all the snowmelt overnight I imagine everything is very high.

mr goose

Bradwell Brook just out of its banks where you cross the bridge at Brough. The Noe is going a bit too at the Mill Weir - unsurprisingly.
We thought we'd plump for a nice dry trip down Robin's Shaft today, only to arrive and be asked not to by the farmer's wife as the farmyard is so deep in mud, there'd be nowhere to park without sinking! And she thought we'd struggle to get to the mine as the mud is so deep in the field + lambing etc. Normal Derbyshire conditions of course but we politely moved on...... Time to go canoeing??

Jenny P

FWIW last the River Dove was way over its banks where the A38 crosses it near Burton-on-Trent.  Looked like you were on a causeway above a lake.

Rob

I find this site extremely useful to determine water levels in the Peak:
https://www.riverlevels.uk/river-wye-sheldon-ashford-in-the-water#.WsT1HojOVPZ

There are many recording sites on the page, but i find the Ashford one to give the best indication of water levels in caves, probably due to the high % of limestone catchment upstream of that point...

Attachments

• Water Levels.PNG
    Water Levels.PNG
    127.3 KB · Views: 122

David Rose

I went down JH on Tuesday. It was very wet in Cartgate with lots of spouts coming out of the roof and waterfalls on the climbs. Bitch Pitch was basically impassable.

pwhole

I've done that 'wet JH' trip too - it's very weird seeing the cartgate half-full of water. The photo below is from July 2013. It still bothers me why so much is perched in so many areas so high in a mine on a vertical vein. There must be a terrific wayboard underneath.

A group of us went into Mandale Mine tonight, which wasn't especially bad. The sough inside was easily passable, but no-one fancied it. Having then got very wet anyway exploring the Aqueduct Level from the inside, we went up the sough tail outside, which was waist-deep inside, but the water wasn't especially cold, but obviously not nice. The Lathkill itself though was tanking along - I haven't seen it like that before. And absolutely crystal-clear - beautiful.

Attachments

• _IGP5931_sm.jpg
    _IGP5931_sm.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 118

caving_fox

Was in Giants on Sunday and expected it to be fairly wet after the week's rain, even if Saurday wasn't as damp as forecast. However Valentine's sump was open (still and clear so not recently bailed either) and the windpipe had substantial airspace. Where does all the water go? and why does it only sometimes accumulate?

Rob

caving_fox said:
...Valentine's sump was open (still and clear so not recently bailed either)...
Do you mean it was passable through to the Filthy Five?!?

alastairgott

caving_fox said:
The windpipe had substantial airspace.

I don't think I've ever really seen the windpipe with any different water levels. Personally, I think it's pretty static (or at the very least fluctuates between a dry ear and a slight ear wetting).

But I guess that sign must be there for some reason...

Rob

alastairgott said:
caving_fox said:
The windpipe had substantial airspace.

I don't think I've ever really seen the windpipe with any different water levels. Personally, I think it's pretty static (or at the very least fluctuates between a dry ear and a slight ear wetting).

But I guess that sign must be there for some reason...
I've seen the windpipe sumped, at least twice. It's really annoying when you're the wrong side.... Otherwise i agree it's mostly the same level.

Andyj23UK

i has concluded that the hydrology of giants hole = magic

i has never encounted the windpipe sumped

but trips in dring quite wet weather [ we had " issues " in the crabwalk with water volume - and had to rigg the deviation on garlands  ] - but windpipe = plenty of air . for which we were thankfull - as one companion was not happi in crabwalk

a trip in 2013 - fine waather and crabwalk no issue - but i had to do winpipe on back and advance // breath - advance // breathe - slow and labourious - i was glad that my companion was hard as nails - having a novice at that point would not have been fun

alastairgott

Rob said:
I've seen the windpipe sumped, at least twice. It's really annoying when you're the wrong side.... Otherwise i agree it's mostly the same level.

Do you remember when and what the weather was doing?

Was It 50days and 50nights of Manchester Drizzle? or a supreme flood?

Rob

alastairgott said:
Rob said:

Do you remember when and what the weather was doing?

Was It 50days and 50nights of Manchester Drizzle? or a supreme flood?

I think they were ~2003 and 2005. No idea of weather, other than being reet wet.

SamT

Likewise, have seen the windpipe sumped once, and it was proper sumped.  Weather = Reet wet, i.e. flood conditions. We were the right side of it though.

Never ever seen St valentines anything other than full to the overflow level, (pipe in the bottom of the small dam wall) regardless of conditions.  It cannot be bailed anymore as the overflow only takes a very small amount of water before backing up.  The sump re-fills  surprisingly quickly after its been drained.

caving_fox

SamT said:
Likewise, have seen the windpipe sumped once, and it was proper sumped.  Weather = Reet wet, i.e. flood conditions. We were the right side of it though.

Never ever seen St valentines anything other than full to the overflow level, (pipe in the bottom of the small dam wall) regardless of conditions.  It cannot be bailed anymore as the overflow only takes a very small amount of water before backing up.  The sump re-fills  surprisingly quickly after its been drained.

I'd not been there before. The dam was maybe half full. There was air gap as far as I could see along the passage, through what looked like an arch. Where does the normal water=roof point happen?

SamT

caving_fox said:
SamT said:

I'd not been there before. The dam was maybe half full. There was air gap as far as I could see along the passage, through what looked like an arch. Where does the normal water=roof point happen?
Makes sense. The first 5 meters or so is a canal.. to a small air bell. Then it sumps proper for another 4 meters or so before dipping steeply up to the filthy five. So it wasn't 'open' as such.