Surveying equipment

T

truescrumpy

Where can i find details about the new surveying gadget that suppose to be quicker then using the original way

T

truescrumpy

I read the "Shetland Attack Pony" and from what i gather, it records the degrees between the stations, but does not record the size of the chamber/passage at the point of the 'station'. 

So you have to independentally record the distance/size at that 'station' and then match it with whatever number it says of the station in the 'pony' ?

and does it run with the 'Survex' programme ?

Hope someone knows the answer !  (y)

anfieldman

I don't know if it works with Survex but you do indeed have to record the distance between stations independantly. I don't know of any system that records the size of the passage as well. Have you been watching The Descent or something?  ;)
I'm sure that a distance meter will be included at some point in the future.

Peter Burgess

whirlwind digger said:
Where can I find details about the new surveying gadget that is supposed to be quicker than using the original way.

The speed at which a detailed survey is done is going to be governed largely by how long you take to make your notes, and the amount of detail you add to the basic line. Saving a few seconds on taking a bearing isn't going to have much effect on the time you take overall. Whether a new gadget makes your readings more reliable however, is perhaps a more important consideration. An electronic distance measuring device may save a more significant amount of time however, if you don't have to spend time laying out a baseline.

Peter Burgess

anfieldman said:
I would take note of Peter's comment's.
Current Hidden Earth surveying champion!  (y)
Much as I would like to bask in the glory, in fact the winner was Graham Christian, my surveying partner. My attempt was a very close second.  :bow:

Subterranean

whirlwind digger said:
I read the "Shetland Attack Pony" and from what i gather, it records the degrees between the stations, but does not record the size of the chamber/passage at the point of the 'station'.
So you have to independentally record the distance/size at that 'station' and then match it with whatever number it says of the station in the 'pony' ?
and does it run with the 'Survex' programme ?

This is correct, you must measure the distance independently. The main reason this is not done by the unit is the difficulty in accquiring, and the extra cost of, an accurate and small enough laser disto module that could be integrated. Maybe in the future.
Each 'leg' of the survey is stored on the unit; you can download straight to your computer and get it into Survex with minimal fuss.

Incase anyone was wondering, I'm not the inventor of the SAP.

graham

Comments coming back from Meghalaya seem to imply that the SAP still needs some work, it isn't sufficiently robust, I am told.

T

truescrumpy

An electronic distance measuring device may save a more significant amount of time however, if you don't have to spend time laying out a baseline.

[/quote]

Any recommendation to which device to buy on the market

Les W

Lecia Disto
http://www.leica-geosystems.com/corporate/en/products/laser_distancemeter/lgs_5061.htm