Groaning Tor Level

ttxela

I have an old guidebook to Derbyshire caves, it grades them I - V according to difficulty, is this system of grading still used?

From the description in the book it seems like Groaning Tor Level might be a simple easy (grade I) site to take a look at if I am in the area on my own sometime.

Is it still accessible? I can't find any reference to it online and I think my book was printed in the sixties.....

Brains

Still listed in the 1991 "Caves of the Peak District" (COPD), but as you say not on the web... Not been there myself but from the description sounds OK to me for what you propose, subject to the normal safety pre requisites...
Have you already visited Jug Holes? That is not a million miles from GTL, and if explored from the bottom adit (Gated, Derbyshire key) is again a relatively straight forward trip with the proviso of stay out of the lower totty mine passages (Obviously dangerous when you find them)
The grading system is still in use, and relates both to the cave as you expeirence it, and how much of an embuggerance it is to remove your screaming broken body! Some would say there is scope for extending the grades beyond V, and almost everyone will have an opinion about where a particular site fits into the list.

ttxela

It was the trip to Jug Holes with Zomjon that inspired me to dig out the book again, GTL seemed like a likely place if I found myself in the area at short notice, probably just "armchair caving" but I may just be passing one day.......

ttxela

I did indeed find myself in Matlock at the weekend and had a look in Groaning Tor, easier to find than I expected and quite a nice little trip (for me anyway) the little stream near the end was flowing and I spent quite some time looking around and enjoying being underground on my own, it's obviously quite frequently visited judging by all the footprints inside but it was free of any litter which was a pleasant suprise considering how close it is to the road and the footpath.  (y)

ttxela

I was back again on Saturday for another look and took some pictures;

peakdistrict070811003hq5.jpg

peakdistrict070811013qi0.jpg

peakdistrict070811009zc4.jpg

It's a nice easy site and handy for the cafe at the bottom too. Had a thouroughly pleasant wander about for a couple of hours.

AndyF

If you liked that you might try Slayley Sough on the other side of the valley. Bit of a thrash up to it, but much more extensive and lots of amazing crystals in one spot.

A few dep shafts internally to peer (and not fall) down

ttxela

AndyF said:
If you liked that you might try Slayley Sough on the other side of the valley. Bit of a thrash up to it, but much more extensive and lots of amazing crystals in one spot.

A few dep shafts internally to peer (and not fall) down

Sounds like it warrants a look next time I'm up there. Is it easy enough to find? it's not in my COPD.

ttxela

I've got an earlier edition I'm afraid, I was going to buy the 1991 one but I hear tell of a new edition coming soon.....

paul

ttxela said:
I've got an earlier edition I'm afraid, I was going to buy the 1991 one but I hear tell of a new edition coming soon.....

Its true! Not too long now...

AndyF

AndyF said:
Sorry, its Slaley Sough, not Slayley..

Its in th COPD 1991 p.128

NG 2719 5710 Right near the top of the hill. Big spoil heap marks the entrance. First section knee wading but soon dries out....

(NG prefix letters deliberately missed out to annoy forum pedants)

ttxela

Had another little trip in GTL the other week to show Summer, she voted it a hit  (y)

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLZeeYY4Tfw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLZeeYY4Tfw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

LarryFatcat

ttxela said:
Had another little trip in GTL the other week to show Summer, she voted it a hit  (y)

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLZeeYY4Tfw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLZeeYY4Tfw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

links seem to be dead?

LarryFatcat

Fishes said:
The Masson website is still blocked for me and shown as insecure.

Sorry to hear that, it's a Virgin Media problem. They said that they had resolved it -PM me with your  virgin email and I'll talk to them again, you should do the same via their Help Forum- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/CommunityHubForums
In the meantime, you can look using your phone and it's data.

pwhole

I'm not with Virgin Media in any respect and I can't get on - it's blocked by Malwarebytes, which I use for security - it just won't let me on. I don't have a smartphone either - partly for security ;)

The Malwarebytes log file for one of the rejections says (I masked the IP):

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Trojan
Domain: massoncaving.com
IP Address: XX XX XX XX
Port: 443
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe