Caves of Castleton - 3d Survey Project

Moose

Caves of Castleon - 3d Survey project.

Recently I have started to collate all the survey data I have access to for the Peak/Speedwell system. Various people have donated their data in an attempt to create a meaningful 3d model of the system in Survex. It is hoped to integrate this with the surface detail too in order to try and understand the whole area.

Also this will act as a location where data can be filed electronically and accessed by anyone with an interest.

I have now got to a stage where the data is running dry but there are still many areas of the system I haven't got survey data for. Some of these areas I know have been surveyed and I'm sure the numbers are out there somewhere. Hopefully this is the case, as the alternative is to resurvey the areas identified. Does anyone have any survey data for the following locations or know of anyone who has?

Ultimately it is hoped to extend the 3d area to the entire Castleton Catchment so the same applies to ALL THE CAVES. I only have Peak/Speedwell, Windy Knoll and Sidetrack Cave so far. But Survex can easily cope with every single one. Any data for any cave in the Castleton area will be entered on to the data base.

Go to the link below for the current Peak - Speedwell .3d file, link to Survex (if you haven't go the software to run it) and most importantly the list of areas we're missing.

http://caving.hucklow.org/castleton_survey/

Dave Nixon

mailto:dave.nixon@conformance.co.uk

SamT

Excellent project Moose.

I've very recently  been wondering about the same kind of thing for the Bradda catchment. I was talking to footleg at HE about the possibility of extracting data from AutoCad (which the bagshawe survey is plotted in) to plug into Survex. He seemed to think it wasn't straight forward, but then not impossible.

Is the current Peak survey on AutoCad. (I seem to recall it is). If we crack it for one survey, then the 2nd should be no bother.

Moose

Sam - Yes, we do have the PS survey in AutoCAD but it's exported from a survex file, really not sure how easy it would be to do the process in reverse, would need to consult a Survex wizards like Wookey I reckon.

Tim - Yes please, anything you have I'll gladly add to the data base, I have Treak Cliff on my list of places to survey so that would go nicely with Odin. If you have any field notes as well as the raw data that would be best, either scanned or photographed.

footleg

Sam, If you can export your data in dxf format and send me a copy I can take a look at it. I have done a similar conversion to generate surface contours in survex from maps in autocad, so it might not be too difficult to do the same here.

SamT

cheers footleg, I've just got your email, I'll prob check with the survey data owner first, shouldn't be a problem, but best to ask.

Pitlamp

Moose - I think Trevor Ford did a good survey of Treak; it might be worth asking him for the data? It was a while ago but, assuming magnetic deviations can be sorted, these data would be as good as new.

graham

Pitlamp said:
Moose - I think Trevor Ford did a good survey of Treak; it might be worth asking him for the data? It was a while ago but, assuming magnetic deviations can be sorted, these data would be as good as new.

Pitlamp, if you know the date it was done then the magnetic deviation can be dealt with. There are websites that will give the details.

Congratulations to Moose on a fine piece of work. Speaking as the person who maintains two similar pieces of work hopefully soon to be three, on Co. Clare and Burrington Combe (see http://www.ubss.org.uk/cave_survey_archive.php ) I hope that others will make their data available in similar form. This is no substitute for a full drawing but is a useful tool in its own right for showing relationships, topographical and geological, between caves and individual cave passages.

nickwilliams

Please note that the URL for this project has now changed to:

http://caving.hucklow.org/castleton_survey/

I'm in the middle of a fairly major re-organisation of the hucklow.org and hucklow.com web sites so the above link may be unavailable at some times. However, this should be only temporary so please try again in a few hours if it doesn't work first time.

Nick.

SamT

footleg said:
Sam, If you can export your data in dxf format and send me a copy I can take a look at it. I have done a similar conversion to generate surface contours in survex from maps in autocad, so it might not be too difficult to do the same here.

Hold that thought..

just found I can save as .dfx

but which version - R12 LT2, R13 LT95 or R14 LT98  ??

Christian_Chourot

Make sure to let us know when you're done, I've tried quite a few times to access it but to no avail. I'd like to see it at some point but will more than likely forget about it.

Of course, if anyone has the file and could email it to me that'd be smashing.

Cave_Troll

I think i managed to persuade biffa to come and try out his new DistoX by doing a centre line survey up cohesion, dig, toadstool etc.

nickwilliams

OK, I was aware that there might be problems but it's difficult to troubleshoot from inside the LAN. I've also been a bit short of time to play with it in the last week.

Try using the following IP addresses instead of the domain names:

hucklow.com -> 83.104.178.233

hucklow.org -> 62.3.234.91

and let me know whether it works, please.

Nick