Caves on Great Clowder?

Wren

Has anyone (or do you know of anyone) tried any diging on the area between Arncliffe and Malham Tarn?  There appears to be only a few small caves on the top.  Is it worth looking at? :unsure:

AndyF

Hi Wren,

Well it's certainly a big block of limestone so there is a good chance. I'm no expert on that area, i'm not sure if it drains towards Littondale or back towards Malham.

Have you found an interesting hole up there?

Andyf

gus horsley

Many moons ago a bunch of us did quite a lot of prospecting in the area and found a couple of shallow pots, but nothing worth writing home about.  We came to the conclusion that the area didn't have a huge amount of potential, due largely to the relative lack of surface streams.  There was some other geological reason but I can't remember what it was.  Maybe it'll come back to me.

Pitlamp

Some time back a bloke from the Burnley asked more or less the same question.  This club is active in the area so might be worth contacting.  I replied at the time to his posting so if you search on something like Parson's Pulpit you'll probably find the thread.

Be aware that at least some of the landowners / tenants up there are not too keen on cavers.