Chest Jammers

Benfool

What is the chest jammer of choice these days? Big Croll, little Croll, CT Evo, or something different? My little Croll was slipping really badly on Sunday and could do with being replaced!

Thanks!

Ian Ball

Anyone used one of these?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-13 151218.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-13 151218.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 471

Benfool

Not sure I'd trust my life to something that's half the price of the rest of the market! Plus I'd prefer to give my money to either Tony or Inglesport.

mikem

Anthron says it's made in Slovenia, so subject to CE markings:
https://www.anthron.si/index.php/ascender-ac-30.html

PeteHall

Ian Ball said:
Anyone used one of these?

Inglesport had something that looked identical to that a few (maybe 5 or 10?) years ago, but I can't remember the brand. I bought one, popped it in the glovebox of my Land Rover and by the time I scrapped it, the jammer was nowhere to be seen... I'm sure it will turn up one day, but in the meantime, I've still got a few of the old style croll's.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Since they came out I've got through about six or seven of the smaller crolls.  They wear very quickly especially on regular trips up muddy ropes.  A smaller number of spikes engage with the rope than the old croll.  This is especially so with thicker diameter ropes whether only the bottom few rows of spikes engage and quickly wear through in my experience.  However, I am still using them as they are easy to come by (for me) and I'm not convinced other makes are a whole lot better.

Mark Wright

Anthron have been going for years and make some interesting products.

I was first introduced to them about 30 years ago when I worked for Total Access Limited. They had a wide range of their products in their training store. They used an Anthron DSD descender device in one of their rescue kits at the time.

I assume the ?27.65 Inc. Vat. is from Arco?

Arco bought Total Access Limited a few years ago.

Despite the fact they wear out a bit quicker and are more expensive, I prefer the small Petzl Croll.

I?ve not got through as many as Badlad but that could have something to do with only going caving about 4 times in the past year instead of 4 times a week.

Mark

pwhole

I went through one of those shitty new Crolls in less than a year - I thought it utter tripe. The teeth were soft, the body was flimsy and the release catch hits the central krab as the clearance isn't sufficient, and I destroyed it just doing regular weekly caving. I got a Camp Turbo and it lasted two and a half years, with more frequent trips - I just upgraded to a new one, and switched to a Camp hand-jammer too, figuring I may as well. I think the only Petzl kit I use now is the Pantin.

ChrisJC

Camp Turbochest - the rollers give me a lot of comfort on really awkward rebelays and other obstacles of the sort you only find in mines.

Chris.

JackSherlock

I use the large Croll. I find it less finicky than the smaller alternatives (especially when wet).

Unsure if the issues with the small Croll are replicated in the larger model.

Ian Ball

The work done here by Simon Wilson is, afaik, still applicable to the Croll S.

Simon Wilson said:
Thank you people. At last more people seem to be starting to understand what the problem is.

Unlike all earlier Crolls this design becomes dangerous when it wears. This problem is compounded by the fact that the new design wears out a lot quicker than earlier designs, despite Petzl's spurious claim that it is more durable. But what really makes Petzl guilty of negligence, in my opinion, is that they have produced a device which is impossible for the user to inspect.

In January I pointed out to Petzl that they are expecting users to inspect a device that they cannot effectively inspect. I suggested that they should recall the Croll and that they might want to consider the legal implications. If somebody is killed and Petzl end up being charged with criminal negligence I would offer to be a witness.

croll-0-horz_zpswgbspnz6.jpg

It's a no Jack.

pwhole

This was mine, after retirement - check out the body connection-hole. That's special aluminium, that is. The main teeth were worn flat and the stainless wear-plate was just developing 'the edge' but it was right on the end of the plate rather than the curve as shown in Simon's article - though if I'm truthful it was the prospect of the Croll just stretching off the carabiner mid-pitch like Plasticine that finally did it. As always, I didn't check that part as much as it was underneath. The last Camp Turbo was replaced purely down to flat teeth, which was fair enough after years down Longcliffe every weekend, but it had no body damage like this one.

Attachments

• _IGP2988.jpg
    _IGP2988.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 141
  • _IGP2989.jpg
    _IGP2989.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 142
  • _IGP2990.jpg
    _IGP2990.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 143

Mark Wright

I?ve just checked the RRP of the small and large Petzl Croll ascenders and they are both ?48.73 Inc. Vat. The Anthron is less than I can buy a Croll with an enhanced trade discount.

The low price might be part of a sales pitch to convince Anthron they should put some of their products through the forthcoming UKCA testing and marking requirements? It?s unlikely you?d ever see an Anthron product inside a rope access technicians kit bag. Training centres usually only had them as novelty items. 

Most manufacturers have developed their chest ascender designs over the years, admittedly not always to everyones taste. This Anthron product hasn?t changed since it was first copied from one of the much earlier Petzl Croll ascenders.

Mark

Ian Ball

Interesting Mark, I think it is far more likely that they are old stock and are hugely reduced to get rid as they have been that price since the TA days and as you say Anthron is not popular kit and Arco are selling to access techs.

Mark Wright

Ian Ball said:
I think it is far more likely that they are old stock and are hugely reduced to get rid

You might well be right.

Mind you, if people are getting through other ascenders in a year they are worth a punt at that price.