New Makita 36v Drill

Reeve

Is anyone using the new Makita 36V SDS Drill that utilises 2 18v batteries? I wonder if combining the options of having a smaller 18v SDS bolting drill,  slitting wheel and 36V drill for digging, all of which utilise the same 6 batteries is a worthwhile idea.
I've used the older 36V Makita drill but am looking for any feedback on the newer simplified battery idea, if anyone has used for digging?

sinker

Gareth Davies said:
Is anyone using the new Makita 36V SDS Drill that utilises 2 18v batteries? I wonder if combining the options of having a smaller 18v SDS bolting drill,  slitting wheel and 36V drill for digging, all of which utilise the same 6 batteries is a worthwhile idea.
I've used the older 36V Makita drill but am looking for any feedback on the newer simplified battery idea, if anyone has used for digging?

Not a patch on the 36v HILTI.
Factor in battery life, charge time, discharge rates and the HILTI competes on price too and will definitely outlast the Makita. HILTI gives you what is effectively a lifetime warranty on the drill, though not the batteries. But when you balance out the weighting of the drill/batteries for both makes you soon seen that with HILTI all your money is going on the drill, so that the bit you want the warranty on  ;)

However for someone who is not using it all day every day AND has already started down the Makita LXT route and has a few batteries and a charger its probably a better bet to stick with what you have.

Makita have committed to "at least" another 5 years of LXT production and there will always be companies offering re-celling of LXT batteries for years to come so its a safe bet.

NOTHING has the grunt and staying power of the HILTI though. 58 bolts, 12mm dia, 125mm deep in granite off a single battery. Nothing else will give you that.

PeteHall

I think the issue with Hilti is the weight.

Great for long shot holes and big bolts, but far from ideal holding above your head bolt climbing...

Sound's like Gareth is interested in the Makita as a compromise that could be good for bolt climbing and shot holes, without needing buy 2 drills