Recomend a cave trip in Peak for 1st trip without guide

Niggle

Hi all

Recently hired a cave guide for my climbing clubs away trip to Yorkshire to try something different, was a great success and we had a great day out.

We were taken down Long Churn at 1st and spent the morning in there generally wandering around and had a play in the Cheese grater (which I did not fit through)

The afternoon was spent doing Calfholes to Browgill through trip which felt a lot more adventurous but at least if did fit through the squeeze.

So that is my caving experience, feel I am generally outdoors savvy, Climber summer and winter,  Alpine mountaineer, mountain biker etc

So the question is what cave would anyone recommend for 3 or 4 of us to go and try on our own, some thing on a similar grade to Long Churn would be great, was thinking of just going down Carlswark at Stoney Via the Gin entrance having an explore and then return via the same route but a through route would be more satisfying

We will all have several headtorches each with us but only Petzl Tikkas and the like. We will leave info of where we a heading with a responsible other and have a check in time to get in touch with cave rescue if not checked in

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance

bubba

Administrator
For anything with water in you might want to consider borrowing/hiring some proper lights.

bubba

Administrator
No, Carlswark would be fine at the moment but I was thinking of some of the others suggested in the linked post above mine.

Niggle

Ok cheers. So maybe a little explore untill we meet something we dont like the look of down Carlswark combined with Windy Ledge/Bossen Hole as suggested in the other thread should be enought to fill a day for us. Have bought Caves of the Peak Disctrict to help with identification

Peacey

I was in Eyam Passage in Carlswark last weekend and without decent kit the Gin Entrance is the only way really. You will have to be careful not to drop down into the other passages without experience and a good survey as there are a few wet places. We did Jug Holes which is ok and realtively hard to get lost in unless you wander into the mine. The lower entrance through the tube is the best way in and depending on the conditions there is a through route with a bit of a free climb out. I would recommend a rope though

bubba

Administrator
Windy Ledge / Bossen Hole is really a ten minute diversion - I wouldn't go out of your way for this.  I think I first did it with a box of matches (remember them?) and some fancy footwork to avoid the climbers-poop in the entrance.

I was once in exactly the same position as you!! Giants hole was suggested up me, entrance to the top of garlands. You can get some pretty descriptive PDF downloads which are really useful. There are a few bits off the main drag, it's a classic group trip. HOWEVER I would suggest that you get a some better lights or at least take some spare batteries!!! There is also a ?3 trespass fee. I'd be happy to give you more info if you want to pursue it

simonsays

Unless your budget is really  tight I would suggest hiring some kit for your trip.  an undersuit/oversuit,  wellies and a decent headlight mounted on a helmet.  As I have found to my cost,  caves have a habit of wrecking 'ordinary' outdoor kit...  Shredded goretex and waterlogged petzl headtorches will not enhance your day out!

Cheers, Simon

SamT

simonsays said:
Unless your budget is really  tight I would suggest hiring some kit for your trip.  an undersuit/oversuit,  wellies and a decent headlight mounted on a helmet.  As I have found to my cost,  caves have a habit of wrecking 'ordinary' outdoor kit...  Shredded goretex and waterlogged petzl headtorches will not enhance your day out!

Cheers, Simon

I concur.  It just makes your day out  more enjoyable too.

I agree with Giants entrance series - down to Basecamp chamber, Boss Aven, and the top of Garlands pot.  Its basically walking about.  (take care not to fall down garlands pot mind!!!)

EwanCameron

Hi Buddy

If you want to go give me a buzz we have all the kit you will all need and I am more than happy to come with you for the day and let you find you own way about - if you are all really keen we can try and get 2 or 3 trips in a day so you have a good point to start from

- www.evolutionoutdoors.co.uk

No charge buddy always happy to get out caving

Ewan

tidza2004

My first adventure with caving was going in Merlin's Mine, Eyam Dale, near Stoney Middleton.  I've been in Merlin's a few times, but alas, due to being on my own and not having any gear, I have remained on the same level.  It does enter the hillside quite far, and I certainly found it exciting.  Another easy (take care of the shaft) adit entrance is Nickergrove mine (up the Cucklet Delph, I think it's called i.e. walking distance from Merlin's MIne).  I'd give some caution to the wooden ladder in there though.  Enjoy!