LOOKING FOR A CAVING CLUB

paul38

Hi All

I have been caving a few times with an instructor. I.e Long Churns and county pot to Wretched rabbit passage. I am more interested in the sporting element of caving rather than a geological  interest and I'm looking for a friendly club in my area. I live in Manchester so i guess the peak district or Yorkshire areas would be my nearest caving areas.  I am looking to progress the caving to multi pitch trips but have no skills in this area so i would  be looking for a club that can provide guidance and training in this area.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to a friendly local club nearby?

Thanks for reading

Paul

martinb

paul said:
Have you had a look at the www.trycaving.co.uk website?

One problem with the Trycaving website is that it is never updated. I've been trying to get them to show an entry for Chesterfield Caving Club for nearly two years!

The BCA webmaster needs to start cracking the whip.  :chair:

Antwan

Plenty of clubs to go at, I would have to say try the YSS, but other clubs that seem pretty good dales wise include Kendal CC and the bradford pothole club. Not sure about the peak clubs with regards to beginers but the TSG are a friendly bunch of folk.

JasonC

Paul, you could do worse than try the Kendal CC.  You may not live near Kendal, but neither do I, and we frequent the Dales caves (with occasional excursions to foreign parts).  Regular (shorter) trips on Wednesday evenings, and longer ones every other Sunday (more or less).  All levels of experience are catered for, you don't have to be dead 'ard.

You can get a flavour of the type of trips here: http://kendalcaving.org.uk/node/2

caving_fox

Rubber Duck caving club is based in Bredbury, so close ot S manchester. Friendly and welcoming frequent trip to Dales and Peaks depending on the weather!
PM me if you can't find contact details online.

There must be some North manchester clubs, but I can't think of any offhand.

Rachel

Antwan said:
Plenty of clubs to go at, I would have to say try the YSS, but other clubs that seem pretty good dales wise include Kendal CC and the bradford pothole club. Not sure about the peak clubs with regards to beginers but the TSG are a friendly bunch of folk.

The Bradford are always welcoming to new members of any ability. Most of us are off on holidays over the next few weeks, so there's a gap in the official meets list until Sept. If you have a look at our website, you'll see a Calf Holes trip on Sept 2nd that would be fine for you to join. I'm organising that one, so feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to come along.

Rachel

Rachel said:
Antwan said:

The Bradford are always welcoming to new members of any ability. Most of us are off on holidays over the next few weeks, so there's a gap in the official meets list until Sept. If you have a look at our website, you'll see a Calf Holes trip on Sept 2nd that would be fine for you to join. I'm organising that one, so feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to come along.

And we are having a Try Caving day this Sat.

I'm not involved with it, due to other commitments, but if you made contact with the club via the website I'm sure you would get a warm welcome.

phil lilley

Look up Youth Adventure Tameside  we are based in Dukinfield if you know the area.
  Were on facebook that's probably the easiest way to find us at this time of year due to holidays and so on.
  We are a bunch of like minded folks who take local kids out caving climbing and canoeing. Your more than welcome to tag along. We "work" voluntary and as a charity take no profit. When were not out with groups "we" (the instructors) get out as much as possible and are pretty busy bunch, one of us is out just about every week. With the climbing as well there lots of opportunity to do stuff we have lots of "kit " you could/can borrow even srt if you can talk one of the lads into lending you theirs

Gollum

I have found they are all freindly but all different in some small way. I'm in 3 peak District and 1 Yorkshire club and I couldn't pick one above another. I get different things from each club.
Contact them and see which one offers more of what you require.