susie-lee tyson

Hello, I live in St Anne's, lancashire, and am looking to join a caving group nearby.
I have no experience whatsoever other than stumbling upon a lovely little cave in Dent with my boyfriend which was amazing. I would love to get onto some courses,not just be given tours of caves. Any advice on where and how to start, what to buy? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALEXW

Have a look at the YSS website. (just google YSSUK).  They do try caving weekends in Yorkshire. (other clubs are available)
Don't buy anything yet borrow and try different suits lights welliies etc to see which you prefer.

damian

There are a number of clubs based in and around the Yorkshire Dales (your nearest caving area). The most important thing is that you see if caving is for you and then find a club that suits you. The YSS is one of your more local clubs and has plenty of experience of introducing newcomers to the sport, so may well do both of these for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

JasonC

Given where you are, Kendal Caving Club is not too far distant - see: http://kendalcaving.org.uk/node/48

Not that it really matters where the club you join is based - cavers have to come to the caves, not the other way round :)

We have a trip booked for Saturday 14th March which would suit the inexperienced.
I won't be going myself, but if you're interested, send me a Personal Message (icon like a speech bubble under my picture) and I'll ask someone to contact you

cap n chris

Hi Susie-Lee and welcome to the forum!  :)

If you are super-keen and just want to go caving pronto without running around visiting and checking out various clubs then you can always go caving on-demand on your own terms, whenever you like, at your convenience, with all equipment provided and professional tuition and leadership via an instructor. It will cost you more than ?1 so isn't something that normally appeals to some people.

http://www.caveinstructor.org.uk/instructors

Fulk

Just out of interest ? what was this 'lovely little cave in Dent' that you stumbled upon?

susie-lee tyson

I do not know what the cave was called, it was between dent and cowgill.
A little covered up entrance, was overgrown with a little square entrance and an old looking temp gate over the front, had to crawl in a little bit, then the 1st part had to go through on stomaches, a little crawling, then it opened into a cavern, seemed pretty big, but wouldn't be to you guys 😊

susie-lee tyson

It sounded like a waterfall was inside at the bottom of the cavern bit, had to climb over a lot of large boulders to get down there.

Fulk

It sounds like Ibbeth Peril Cave, which is interesting ? when you said 'stumbled upon' I had visions of your coming across a nice, open inviting entrance . . . not a low crawl.

kay

susie-lee tyson said:
I do not know what the cave was called, it was between dent and cowgill.
A little covered up entrance, was overgrown with a little square entrance and an old looking temp gate over the front, had to crawl in a little bit, then the 1st part had to go through on stomaches, a little crawling, then it opened into a cavern, seemed pretty big, but wouldn't be to you guys 😊

That gate's only a couple of years old - it's old-looking because of the bashing it gets every time the river level rises - it's there so that all the branches and other crud swept down by the river don't end up blocking the entrance passage.

I can imagine that must have been quite exciting, to crawl through the passage not knowing what you'd find, find it went on further than you expected, and then emerge into that huge cavern.

susie-lee tyson

I was completely blown away Kay,  goosebumps n all :)
We were camping around the area, my boyfriends van is converted into a camper.
The lay-by just up top from it was our chosen spot. I get excited about the tiny caves just on the beaches in cornwall and went on the ingleton tour just once last year. A man walking his dog along the path stopped to talk to us and mentioned a cave down below and that it should be ok to go inside, my boyfriend being an industrial abseiler had helmets, ropes all kinds in the van and we just couldn't resist going inside. Well I felt like all my christmas's had come at once :)
There was the odd moment I worried, how far does this cave go? What if these head torches die, what if we can't find our way back out 😄 but I wasn't letting that ruin it. Can't wait to see more.

Wormy

Plenty of caves around the Morecambe bay area of Lancashire, try and find a book called 'Underground in Furness' or the Dalesman cave guide 'the three counties system and north west' as theyre  listed in them.  Nothing massive but some beautiful spots and a lot of scope for finding new stuff IMO