Author Topic: Hello  (Read 704 times)

Offline PJM496

Hello
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »
Hello all,

My name is Paul, I'm 49, unfit and live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

I have always wanted to cave but, taking into account the above, would you all recommend I just stay on the sofa??  :unsure:

Looking forward to reading through the forum.

Offline mch

• stalker
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
Definitely not! Get off that sofa, find a suitable caving club and get underground. You don't have to be superfit to cave, there are holes in the ground to suit all levels of fitness!

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:52:23 pm »
Welcome! Don't stay on the sofa - find a caving club and start!
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Online martinb

• forum star
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »
I started caving in 2007. Then I was 45, slightly overweight by about 10kg, but had the advantage of living 10 mins drive from my nearest cave.

This year I will obviously be 55, I cave & dig once a week, and feel more spry than I did 10 years ago, have lost my flab/gut/beer belly, have improved muscle tone, especially round my upper torso (my wife of 34 years likes loves that!  :hug: ). However, I also do quite a bit of walking as well - that helps!

She appreciates that caving is a hobby/madness/illness (delete as applicable), even though she is claustrophobic (even under a bedcover  :blink: )

Its given me something to look forward to on a weekly basis - especially  :beer2: afterwards. 

I've also done conservation work and audits, found new cave, investigated every hole I come across.

There should be plenty of ideas for novice cavers across the forum, but as I'm in Derbyshire, one of the following will suit:

Carlswark - Gin to Eyam shaft, Peak Cavern - beyond the showcave 'tourist' trip to Far Sump/Ink Sump/Buxton Water Sump, Bagshawe Cavern, Giants to Garlands Pot.

Undoubtedly others will recommend for other areas.

Try it, you never know, It's infectious!

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:19:16 pm »
.... find a suitable caving club ....

Here's a list: http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=about:member_clubs

Most (not all) indicate their geographical base, but from Paul's posting, "Cambridge Climbing and Caving Club" stands out as an obvious possibility to contact (though I know nothing about them)

Offline damian

• forum hero
  • Hades CC, YSS
    • Hades Caving Club
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:37:00 pm »
Most (not all) indicate their geographical base, but from Paul's posting, "Cambridge Climbing and Caving Club" stands out as an obvious possibility to contact (though I know nothing about them)
The 4Cs are a great club. They've just spent this weekend staying with us at the YSS. Your dilemma is probably whether you'd like to join a club that's near to home, helping with transport, or one that's based in the Caving area you most visit. I can recommend the YSS if you decide you'd like to be Dale's based.