UK Caving Forum unsubscribe

speleotel

This post probably will not go far.

I had found UK Caving forum very helpful as a communication tool in the past and felt connected with cavers and their achievements.

However I am now unsubscribing. 

cavemanmike

Not that I'm being a conspiracy theorists
But when you have people who have 30ish and 70 ish posts who publicly announce they are unsubscribing to a particular forum is quite interesting

Pitlamp

speleotel said:

I had found UK Caving forum very helpful as a communication tool in the past and felt connected with cavers and their achievements.

:confused:

It still is "very helpful as a communication tool" - and for all sorts of other purposes. If you don't give us some idea of why you decided not to use it any more, then yes, your post "may not go very far". It might also be useful to those in charge in sorting out any issues which you're at variance with. (Or have you already done this, by PM?)

Just trying to help . . . .

The Old Ruminator

speleotel said:

The OP makes it sound like the opening statement is now the opposite of how he finds the forum. This seems odd as I certainly cant see it that way. If improvement here is indeed needed then that can only come from us the contributors. It is unhelpful to imply criticism and then give no reason. Sure the forum has its worries most of which come from outside sources , competition from Facebook, uncertainty about the longevity of posted images general apathy even. The thread will go somewhere if the OP can give us cause of his disillusionment.

grahams

I thought about unsubscribing when the recent thread regarding equality, which started so well, predictably turned into hysterical bickering. It's generally better to avoid political/PC threads or better, avoid starting them in the first place.

JoshW

speleotel said:

wormster said:
+ 1 bye bye!

Absolutely pointless posts, that frankly aren't worth 'going very far'. If you have an issue say what the issue is, suggest improvements. The people who run the forum are volunteers, and I think they do a cracking job. It's a very good place to share ideas, collaborate and discuss previous trips. I'd like to see more contribution from members i.e. more trip reports, photos etc.

grahams said:
I thought about unsubscribing when the recent thread regarding equality, which started so well, predictably turned into hysterical bickering. It's generally better to avoid political/PC threads or better, avoid starting them in the first place.

If people could keep their shit together and realise that everyone will have different views politically and actually try with reasoned arguments to persuade people the forum (and world in fact) might be a better place.

aricooperdavis

JoshW said:
If people could keep their shit together and realise that everyone will have different views politically and actually try with reasoned arguments to persuade people the forum (and world in fact) might be a better place.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - the (now locked) equality and inclusion thread was simply asking for whether anyone had experienced any difficult with inequality/inclusion in caving and how clubs might tackle it. It wasn't saying "Cavers are sexist and old people are the problem. Discuss", but most commenters seemed to take it like that.

JoshW

aricooperdavis said:
JoshW said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - the (now locked) equality and inclusion thread was simply asking for whether anyone had experienced any difficult with inequality/inclusion in caving and how clubs might tackle it. It wasn't saying "Cavers are sexist and old people are the problem. Discuss", but most commenters seemed to take it like that.

Kinda glad I'm away and haven't had chance to check the forum, that sounds like a clusterfuck

Laurie

Most forums are something Farcebook and Twits can never be, an easily searchable archive of valuable information, whilst being just as good for chatting as any other media.

Pitlamp

JoshW makes a very important point about those running this forum being volunteers. If anyone wants to be critical then please be constructively critical, then people might be interested in what you have to say.

langcliffe

speleotel said:

Just as a matter of interest, how does one unsubscribe?

andrewmcleod

langcliffe said:
speleotel said:

I imagine the vast majority of members are not even 'subscribed', so the idea of unsubscribing is a bit odd...

(the exception presumably people who have elected to get email notifications of new replies or similar, if that's an option, which I don't know if it is)

martinr

JasonC

langcliffe said:

Surely, anyone who doesn't like it can just not visit the forum again?
No need for any drama, and slamming the door on your way out, leaving everyone wondering what they said ....

Roger W

I think if you do delete yourself, all your posts are attributed to "guest," thus removing your name or alias from the forum.  If you just don't visit any more, everyone can still see that it was "Tickle me Elmo" who posted whatever he or she did about the seventh entrance to Ogof Draenen...

pwhole

The OP had one post from 2017, one from 2016, one from 2015, one from 2014, etc. Hardly frantic communications, by any standards... :confused:

langcliffe

martinr said:
Should a member decide that they no longer want to be part of a forum, they may delete their account. The member's current password is required to carry out this task.......

However:
...... Administrators can also restrict members' ability to delete their accounts......
[/quote]

Quite - and I couldn't find that option when I looked. So I'm still intrigued how the OP has gone 'unsubscribing'.