A465 and Ogof Capel

T

theFerret

Hi all, does anyone know what is happening with the dualling project and how they will if at all protect the caves below and adjacent to the road???

biffa

I believe that Ogof Capel will be destroyed but other caves around there should be undisturbed.  I'm sure that someone who has read the stuff more thoroughly can correct me though?

H

hoehlenforscher

http://new.wales.gov.uk/docrepos/40382/4038231141/403821125/Roads/40382112415/environment.pdf?lang=en

page 25 & 27

hmm we will have to wait and see me thinks

Huge

Like you say hoehlenforscher, we'll have to wait and see. The Environmental Statement makes it sound like the caves would be protected and/or avoided but the widened road would pass right over Caple which is at a shallow depth.

Could cavers, through CCC or BCA, make representations to the powers that be, for protection of the caves during construction and continued access after completion. Is it already too late for that? I seem to remember that most of the previous opposition was directed at getting the dualing scheme abandoned altogether through the gorge.

Something else to think about is that the construction works may very well open up new caves! Surely cavers should be given the chance to investigate these. Would it be possible to persuade the contractors to then maintain access to any significant discoveries? Another area where construction of the wider road may turn up something new is at Cefn Coed in Merthyr. In fact some small caves were found here when the cutting was made through the ridge when the original, three lane, road was built. I believe that cavers were allowed to investigate the caves then but that the entrances were subsequently closed up.

Huge

The last I heard about this (a few months back) was that the dualling project had been put on the back burner. The Welsh Assembly has decided that improvements to North-South road links (A470) have a higher priority than East-West routes (A465). This seems to be for political reasons over economic benefits. There was also some concern over the cost of the project.

Methyr Tydfil Council were up in arms about the decision, as they wanted the dangerous, three lane section past the town to be upgraded ASAP. The Transport Minister has said that the dualling project will be completed but it's been given such a low priority rating that some are saying nothing is going to happen for the foreseeable future.

So Caple should be safe for a while at least.