odd Caving units?

nearlywhite

Myself and A_Northerner on here went for a caving trip and during the various inane rambles the unit 'an Oxlow of rope' was used. I was wondering if anyone regularly used anything else?

tamarmole

Down in the Tamar Valley most of our mines are full of ochre (orange gloop).  Ochre is measured by the""sh*tload". 

One sh*tload of ochre is the amount which, if  discharged into the River Tamar, is the amount required to make the Environment Agency send one boat up the river to investigate; two sh*tloads two boats and so forth.

An unspecified number of sh*loads equals an "Oh f*ck".  An "Oh f*ck" of ochre is the amount required to leave an orange stain on the battleships in Devonport Dockyard (this unit of measurement is also known as a Wheal Russell).

An unspecified number of Oh f*cks equals a "Wheal Jane".  A Wheal Jane of ochre is the amount of ochre which, if discharged into the River Tamar, will make the national news.

2xw

I like Derbyshire specific units.

"My dig will take about 0.5 Ink Sumps worth of work before it goes"

Brains

Dry and dusty = vile sticky loess to wade through with unspecified amounts of ochre, organic content and other pleasant compounds...

Nearly there...
Another two hours

Almost there...
Another hour

There... (as in, we're there)
Another 30 minutes - if we get the route right

JoshW

badger gauge. an important definition to know and apply when being pointed out directions by badger.

nearlywhite

TheBitterEnd said:
Wet to knackers - comes up to your expectations

Shouldn't balls deep be known as the Craven watermark?

(as those who fail to get genitally immersed, be them of any flavour, be regarded as contemptuously cowardly and obviously not in reference to any long established Dales traditions)

Not a unit but a value I guess. Here's another: how painful a crawl is based on the number of sharp things that stick into you per second, or Knee-hertz

Fulk

I find that I can get a rough idea of the length of a rope by using 'arms' lengths' ? as though I were coiling it ? one AL being ~1.7 m.

And on odd occasions I count steps when prusiking (yeah, I know, what a nerd), but 10 of my steps is roughly equivalent to 4 m; so if I've counted 50 steps on, say, the Juniper Gulf big pitch I think, 'Shit, that's still a long way to go'; perhaps it's better not to know.

Pitlamp

nearlywhite said:
Shouldn't balls deep be known as the Craven watermark?

(as those who fail to get genitally immersed, be them of any flavour, be regarded as contemptuously cowardly and obviously not in reference to any long established Dales traditions)

Also known as a "cardboard caver" - gets wet then goes all soft. 

ZombieCake

Isn't one of the standard SI units a 'Shedload'?  As in there's a shedload of rock to shift, to a shedload scaffold needed, to need a shedload of tackle to get down there, to if I ever get out of this hell-hole I'll need shedload of beer.