Death's Head to Big Meanie Traverse

langcliffe

When the traverse between the main Death's Head shaft and the top of the last pitch in Big Meanie was P-hangered, the bolter had the advantage of being able to stand on some mud ledges. Unfortunately, these have now disappeared, necessitating a committing move up (or down, depending on where one is starting) a greasy mud slope. A mostly unsuccessful attempt was made to manufacture a foothold using a handy lithic tool, but it really needs sorting out properly.  It'll only take five minutes with a folding shovel, so if you're planning on passing that way...

topcat

Ha!  I recall just how desperate this move seems to be when I did this a couple of months ago!

I thought at the time that my ice axe would have been useful .

An better alternative to a muddy step which will, presumably  , disappear in time, would be an intermediate , additional hanger?  This would eliminate the long, committing stretch.

TC

langcliffe

topcat said:
An better alternative to a muddy step which will, presumably  , disappear in time, would be an intermediate , additional hanger?  This would eliminate the long, committing stretch.

It would indeed - but a muddy step is easier to organise as a short term solution.

Fjell

Best to take some bolts and use the odd 30 year-old spit if you want life to be easier. Not much history of them failing as long as it's not split and isn't obviously loose or sticking out excessively.
Overly-acrobatic pitch heads are not really the main event for me.

langcliffe

Fjell said:
Best to take some bolts and use the odd 30 year-old spit if you want life to be easier. Not much history of them failing as long as it's not split and isn't obviously loose or sticking out excessively.
Overly-acrobatic pitch heads are not really the main event for me.

Unfortunately, there are no spits on that traverse.