Caving Courses

TheVicar

Hi all,
I am relatively new to caving and have been enjoying myself alot!
Question is.....what courses are out there for cavers? I know of the CIC but are there any others? I'm basically looking for recognised qualifications giving me something to aim towards in the future. I am not looking to make any money out of it but to just gain a lot more experience on top of my normal caving trips.
Any thoughts and ideas most appreciated

Goydenman

Local cave leader; SRT courses and getting alongside experienced cavers with different expertise such as those with good knowledge and exerience on conservation, digging, geology/cave development................

TheVicar

Hi thanks for the replies.
I think LCLMA looks like a good start. I had a look at the BCA website and they do not want to give much away in the way of prices. Would anybody have a clue roughly how much a course like this would cost?
Thanks again

Les W

This document:
http://british-caving.org.uk/training/vysgrants.pdf
suggests that it is:
?40 for registration,
?100.00 for training and
?250 for assessment.

However, the application form for LCMLA says ?45 for registration so something is wrong, also the course fees (training and assessment) are only approximations as it is up to the trainers and assessors what they charge.

It gives you an idea though.

Why not just contact a CIC and do the LCLMA course without the assessment and registration so you do the course but not gain the qualification...
...assuming its the experience you want and not the bit of paper...

TheVicar

Hi Les,
Well done for finding that. Being new to all this I wasn't sure how the whole thing is set up. I think that's a good idea to do the course as I am quite surprised how much the assessment is. I would have thought it would cost more for the training.
I would be more happy to spend 100? than in the region of 400?! :)
I'll drop them a line and see where it goes
Much appreciated

cap n chris

TheVicar said:
I am quite surprised how much the assessment is. I would have thought it would cost more for the training.

LCMLA training is often done in a group whereas assessment (two separate days) isn't. Hence the two days of assessment usually equates to a greater invoice than the training.

Whereabouts is your Vicarage located? - that'd give you an idea of whom to contact? Check out the Association of Caving Instructors' Website for regional Instructors' contact details if you're after technical training.

Les W

graham said:
... something is wrong ...

duty_calls.png

TheVicar

Hi all thanks for the advice,
I am based on the Mendips. I am part of an exceptionally good group but was just curious as to what was out there training wise for new ish cavers :)