Depth Perception?

Simon Beck

I've had a couple of instances recently when I've massively misjudged the size of something viewed underground, and put it down to my now poor, and ever deteriorating eye sight. I wear glasses only when driving. Anybody explain why this may be or had similar themselves? Don't recall ever having this issue before.

martinr

I have varifocals and use them everywhere. Occasionally I leave them off, and this causes problems because they magnify x1.25 (to make reading easier). Without them, I badly misjudge distance and trip over and/or bump into objects.

darren

Have both eyes deteriorated to the same extent?

I have one eye that does the majority of my "seeing". I have reduced  depth perception reduced 3d vision.

I'm saying it's reduced, it's normal for me.  I frequently have to ask how far my foot is awafrom something, often to be told an inch.  Just can't judge it.

mrodoc

A friend of mine has trouble with traverses because he has long sight in one eye and short in the other so he hasn't got binocular vision.

Simon Beck

darren said:
Have both eyes deteriorated to the same extent?

I have one eye that does the majority of my "seeing". I have reduced  depth perception reduced 3d vision.

I'm saying it's reduced, it's normal for me.  I frequently have to ask how far my foot is awafrom something, often to be told an inch.  Just can't judge it.

One eye is definitely worse than the other. For the most part I manage fine without glasses though. Time for a check up I reckon.

Goydenman

Simon Beck said:
I've had a couple of instances recently when I've massively misjudged the size of something viewed underground, and put it down to my now poor, and ever deteriorating eye sight. I wear glasses only when driving. Anybody explain why this may be or had similar themselves? Don't recall ever having this issue before.

Sounds to me like 'Diggers syndrome' ha....always leave it with sighting on bigger ahead and then get back to a hole that a rabbit would struggle with

caving_fox

Humans are pretty poor at absolute size judging? We're pretty good at comparing things, but without context it is hard to grasp something's proper proportions. Hence the father ted jokes, american car mirrors and the like. Also thought to be an issue with train crossings. Try holding (throwing?) a known object nearby?

Simon Beck

mikem said:
Simon Beck said:
Don't recall ever having this issue before.
Memory trouble?

Not sure what you're getting at there, but no my memory is just fine thank you.

Some of what was said above I think sums up the issue, aside from your lame comment that is.

Alex

I think it was just a joke, he was insinuating as because you could not recall an issue of having the problem before then maybe it was the memory at fault. Admittingly not a very funny joke.

mikem

Not exactly a joke, most people find it difficult to gauge size if they have nothing to compare it to & memory is selective, so I was suggesting that could be the issue.

Mike

Simon Beck

mikem said:
Not exactly a joke, most people find it difficult to gauge size if they have nothing to compare it to & memory is selective, so I was suggesting that could be the issue.

Mike

No skin off my nose either way.

Had you said this instead of just 'memory loss' it may well have been better received, apologies.

Ian Ball

Distance underground or size in general has always been a problem for me, I belivebe wholeheartedly I am thin enough and then find myself surprised I am stuck.