Hidden Britain by Drone Channel 4 19/08/2018

alanw

Mrs Trellis said:
"Tony Robinson sends aerial cameras into Britain's largest cave system..........."

Thanks for the reminder. Gaping Gill, filmed at the BPC winch meet in May.

pwhole

Tony Robinson is, by definition, disappointing, IMO. He's like a walking, talking, smiling plank of wood. Though I suspect the main appeal to the producers is that these programmes are very cheap to make, once you've bought the drones. Still, it keeps the pension topped-up.

alanw

pwhole said:
Tony Robinson is, by definition, disappointing, IMO. He's like a walking, talking, smiling plank of wood.

Not that Tony was actually there.

pwhole

Exactly. Anyone could do that stuff, given a few takes. It's not as though he's oozing charisma. I'm not sure what it is.

There's a huge raft of 'celebrity documentaries' these days, that are essentially free holidays with pension top-ups for fading stars, though clearly still with excellent connections and booking agents. It's a disgrace really. Pick a semi-retired celeb, a location and a spurious topic, and it makes itself. Stephen Tompkinson's Australian Balloon Adventure being the definition of the genre. Though Timothy West and Prunella Scales pissing around on canals ad infinitum probably take the biscuit, in terms of absolute cheek.

droid

pwhole said:
Exactly. Anyone could do that stuff, given a few takes. It's not as though he's oozing charisma. I'm not sure what it is.

There's a huge raft of 'celebrity documentaries' these days, that are essentially free holidays with pension top-ups for fading stars, though clearly still with excellent connections and booking agents. It's a disgrace really. Pick a semi-retired celeb, a location and a spurious topic, and it makes itself. Stephen Tompkinson's Australian Balloon Adventure being the definition of the genre. Though Timothy West and Prunella Scales pissing around on canals ad infinitum probably take the biscuit, in terms of absolute cheek.

Good point Phil.

However I'd point out that Mark Williams (On The Rails, Industrial Revelations) was a notable exception.....

martinb

pwhole said:

Both Timothy West and Prunella Scales have been active canal boaters for some 40+ years, and have been active participants in canal restorations.

BradW

martinb said:
pwhole said:

Both Timothy West and Prunella Scales have been active canal boaters for some 40+ years, and have been active participants in canal restorations.
And the judgement made about the series here are quite superficial. I found it an interesting window on the problems of dementia, rather than a canal documentary. Perhaps we all get different things from programs, and should refrain from making sweeping comments about things and people we have never met and know nothing about.

pwhole

I don't mind that - it's the fact that they get paid for making tv programmes about them doing it, when essentially they're just on holiday. And how many series are we on now? I'd got the point after one show ;)

Laurie

Well I like them, the programmes are well researched and informative without being 'stuffy'.
Maybe it's because I'm their age...?

crickleymal

pwhole said:
I don't mind that - it's the fact that they get paid for making tv programmes about them doing it, when essentially they're just on holiday. And how many series are we on now? I'd got the point after one show ;)

So what, it's not like you're paying, as it's on Channel 4. I quite enjoy the Canal programmes, I get to see waterways that I've never visited and gives me ideas for holidays.
The Drone programme I can take or leave, it passes some time but you don't really see anything that you wouldn't see by normal camera. Some places they visit are interesting but some seem to just be padding.