mine at perran sands

Just come back from perran sands near perranporth. While on beach walked to end of it up a path and to the left found a old mine which was locked. There was two enterances both locked. It was next to a big pool of water n near army training land. Does any1 know what this mine is called n why its locked? Intrested to know.

Got some pictures but don't know how to put em  on ere!

SANY0143.jpg

SANY0132.jpg

SANY0135.jpg

crickleymal

Looking on Mine Explorer it could be GravelHill Iron Mine or possibly Penhale lead mine. But I don't know the area and couldn't see Perran Sands on the map.

With looking at that n the location on map n the description would say its GravelHill mine formally called Penhale mine. Wonder why its not accessable unsafe ? or because it close to beach?

Bob Smith

mark220gsiturbo1 said:
Just come back from perran sands near perranporth. While on beach walked to end of it up a path and to the left found a old mine which was locked. There was two enterances both locked. It was next to a big pool of water n near army training land. Does any1 know what this mine is called n why its locked? Intrested to know.

Got some pictures but don't know how to put em  on ere!

could this have anything to do with the lock?

Grille to cover mine at Perranporth after child death

I believe it is a different location, but the lock may not be unrelated.

gus horsley

It's Gravel Hill Mine which was for iron. The upper adit extends about 100ft to a dead end but the lower adit goes in a loop which ends at a shallow shaft and  free dive of about 15ft back into the pool at the entrance.  The mine was notable for rare secondary iron minerals, some of which can still be found in the boulders below the entrance.  It wasn't gated due to the accidental death mentioned earlier - that was in Wheal Droskyn which is at the other end of Perran sands.

fat pat

The gate can be bypassed via an easy sump which was lined,although its condition has not been chicked for at least 12 months.
Contact the Carbis Bay Crew if youre intrested in doing it as they are having a trip there and wheal Mary this summer(if you can call it that)

gus horsley

The photos are definitely Gravel Hill - I've been there several times.  There are gates on several short workings at the south end of the beach at Wheal Droskyn which is where the unfortunate accident occurred mentioned in an earlier post.