Deep Mine Shaft Required

Mark

Does anyone know of an open shaft at least 250mtrs deep (good condition) 2.5mtrs diameter, good access, ideally near the national grid, where a test rig could be installed, for a power generation contraption involving a heavy weight.

Ladywash would be ideal, apart from it?s used for exhausting Milldam

AR

New Engine _might_be a possibility but I don't know how susbtantial/removeable the cap is, plus there's the unconfirmed tale that the engine beam is wedged halfway down! I don't think there's anything else in the Peak deep enough or unflooded, likewise I don't think there's much left in the way of unfilled coal mine shafts that would fit the bill.

Big Jim

Which New Engine Adam?  I think New Engine at Gregory (Ashover) is very deep but don't know much about it but presume that's bloody deep too being up on the gritstone and its in a the farm yard isn't it?

AR

I was thinking of the Eyam Edge one, but yes, the topmost shaft at Gregory might also be deep and wide enough. No idea about its current condition though...

ChrisJC

I wonder if any of the Minera shafts are deep enough, or one of the Milwr Tunnel ones (over 600ft if I recall correctly, so might be a bit short).

Chris.

bograt

How about an abandoned railway tunnel vent shaft? the tunnel from Woodhead towards Peniston comes to mind.

NewStuff

ChrisJC said:
I wonder if any of the Minera shafts are deep enough, or one of the Milwr Tunnel ones (over 600ft if I recall correctly, so might be a bit short).

Chris.

Taylors shaft comes to mind - 800ft or so by all accounts. There are deeper shafts up there (Meadow/City), but Taylors is not by any "toursity" bits.

Big Jim

How deep is Cromford Moor mine ie the capped shaft at Black Rocks car park. That's got lecky close by at the old visitor centre/bogs.

Fishes

AR said:
Cromford Moor is somewhere round 400-450ft IIRC.

From memory it was around 360 feet to the current bottom. Its driven in the vein so the width is limited and it twists around with the hade and is not perfectly vertical.

Lynne Willis did a shaft survey and a sketch survey of the workings was also carried out (previously displayed in the visitor centre) when we were working down there in around 89/90.

Big Jim

Golconda? So long since I went down there on the WMRG winch so cant remember how deep and near lecky supply....
Mark doesn't want much does he!

Fishes

Big Jim said:
Golconda? So long since I went down there on the WMRG winch so cant remember how deep and near lecky supply....
Mark doesn't want much does he!

Unfortunately not wide or deep enough for Mark.

AR

It'll be for a trial of a power storage system - you have a deep shaft and a weight on a cable, with a generator geared to the drum so when the weight descends, you get electricity. The idea is that you drop the weight when there's a shortage on the grid, then wind it back up when you've got surplus (cheaper) electricity kicking around.