Portland caves website

tim.rose2

I've spent some time over the last few months putting a website together about Portland's caves.  Other than the out of print Portland book there is little information available so I thought it was about time somebody did something about that.  Hope this is of interest to a few people...

https://sites.google.com/view/the-caves-of-portland/home

This is still work in progress, but I've exhausted both my current knowledge and selection of photo's so I'll need to do more caving to fill in the gaps which will obviously take a little time.

Beardy

Excellent resource
I'm almost inspired to make a trip (just have to overcome the dislike of a 5 hour drive)
Beardy

mikem

I wouldn't put your email in such an obvious format on the front page!

There are also a couple of divers' bunkhouses & a partially updated version of the book is now available on MCRA website:
http://www.mcra.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=articles:start

Mike

tim.rose2

There are also a couple of divers' bunkhouses

Do you have details / website links?  I'll add these.

Not bothered about putting my email on there - it's already been on the front page of two other websites I look after for years.  Gmail seems to sort of the bulk of the spam.

I'm almost inspired to make a trip (just have to overcome the dislike of a 5 hour drive)
The caves are (probably) not worth a 5 hour drive, however Dorset certainly is.  Great walking, kayaking, climbing, sailing, etc., etc. Plenty to fill a long weekend or week with.

JasonC

This is great  (y)

Portland is a long way off for me, but have visited several times and loved it - next time, I'll bring my caving kit!

mrodoc

The climb into Sandy used to be a piece of cake but it has harder and harder over the years as the ground at the cliff base has slipped away. Last time I went it was a tricky free climb but it looks even worse now. When I first went there you could almonst step out (and in).

tim.rose2

There is a technique!  Connect a ladder to a 60cm sling.  Use a forked stick to hitch this over the convenient flake on the lower right hand side of the hole.

I reckon I first went in Sandy in 1999 as a teenager and was shown how to get in like this back then.  In fact the chap who lead that trip left his 'Sandy stick'  with me and it's still used today.  The stick does seem to be getting shorter though and I can now only just reach.