BDH containers

Joe Duxbury

I have two intact 1 litre BDH containers with cracked (and irreparable) lids. Does anyone have the reverse, i.e. a cracked container with an intact lid? If so, I'll swap you a container for a lid! Both items are light, so postage shouldn't be great. Unless you're in S Wales or Mendip, where a furtive exchange could be made.

JoW

Did you find anyone? I have a bdh with a cracked container and a good lid if you didn't already find someone? Assuming it's the standard size one?

Pitlamp

If you know anyone who's a teacher in a secondary school, ask them to nip round to their science department. The large 5 litre "Winchester" bottles of liquid chemical reagents are delivered in them and labs often throw away the BDH containers after delivery. They will probably just give them to you.

A word of warning though; get your teacher friends to check with the lab staff as to which BDH containers are safe to use - i.e. depending on what they've had in them. The BDH containers don't want to be contaminated with anything nasty.

Canary

I don't think lab chemicals come in BDH drums anymore (at least not for the last 15 years). I think the company that made them was bought out/they just use cheaper designs.

Can

Pitlamp

Thanks for the update.  (I don't use BDHs for caving as I think there are better options, so I'm not up to speed on this.)

mikem

BDHs dissolved 1997:
http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/people/cp17426/british-drug-houses-limited

Mike