Conservation Grading II

cap n chris

Be careful you don't reinvent the wheel - the NCA Cave Conservation Handbook contains loads on this topic. 11.2.6 includes a Formation Vulnerability Chart, 11.3 Conservation Zoning, action strategies for protection of formations, conservation plans, etc. etc.

If you haven't got a copy or read one I would suggest you would be doing yourself a great service to have a look at it first.

Johnny

Cap'n Chris said:
Be careful you don't reinvent the wheel - the NCA Cave Conservation Handbook contains loads on this topic. 11.2.6 includes a Formation Vulnerability Chart, 11.3 Conservation Zoning, action strategies for protection of formations, conservation plans, etc. etc.

If you haven't got a copy or read one I would suggest you would be doing yourself a great service to have a look at it first.

I entirely agree. I was discussing this very subject on Sat., at the DCA AGM, with Tony Gibbs, the guy who developed the Vulnerability Charts to which you refer.
These techniques would be extremely valuable in deciding the grades to be applied and would, in all probability, should the grading go ahead, be used.
The idea behind the grading system using a,b,c,x,u is that it distils the system in the NCA handbook into a more user friendly format.

paul

Johnny said:
The idea behind the grading system using a,b,c,x,u is that it distils the system in the NCA handbook into a more user friendly format.

I think that the coloured survey we saw at the "real" DCA meeting in the pub afterwards :wink: was an excellent idea. Using Green, Yellow, Orange and Red to mark degrees of conservation awareness on a survey makes it easier particularly for those new to a system to see where they should bear conservation in mind. May be worth considering for inclusion in the next Caves of the Peak District...

Johnny

paul said:
I think that the coloured survey we saw at the "real" DCA meeting in the pub afterwards :wink: was an excellent idea. Using Green, Yellow, Orange and Red to mark degrees of conservation awareness on a survey makes it easier particularly for those new to a system to see where they should bear conservation in mind. May be worth considering for inclusion in the next Caves of the Peak District...

This method does make the sensitivity very clear. It would be fantastic to add into the guide book although it would be a lot work.

Johnny

Cap'n Chris said:

For those who do not have a copy of the NCA Cave Conservation Handbook I have attached The Formation Vulnerability Chart contained therein.
The chart is designed to be used with the table Action Strategies for Protection of Formations, also attached, and the explanatory notes that are in the handbook.