North Coast and the lizard

benshannon

I'm heading to the lizard in a couple of weeks and then heading up the coast near St agnes and then to Bude. Any caves /mines that are worth poking your head into? I'll have room for most of my kit but not SRT gear so none SRT recommendations please 😁😁😁

aricooperdavis

I live in St Agnes, and there are a few good mines about, although the best are obviously SRT ones! xxxxxxxxxx fits the bill though, and is well worth a look. There's quite a bit about it online, but PM me if you want any more info :)

mrodoc

Contact the Carbis Bay Crew on Facebook. They took me down Wheal Luna at St. Agnes a few years ago.

royfellows

aricooperdavis said:
I live in St Agnes, and there are a few good mines about, although the best are obviously SRT ones! xxxxxxxxxx fits the bill though, and is well worth a look. There's quite a bit about it online, but PM me if you want any more info :)

Not a good idea to advertise!

aricooperdavis

royfellows said:
Not a good idea to advertise!

Sorry Roy, I'd hoped that just the name wouldn't be a problem. I've asked the moderators to redact it.

[gmod]I've redacted the mine name in above posts as requested.[/gmod]

aricooperdavis

mrodoc said:
Why on earth would you want to redact the name of a mine?

I respect Roy's expertise and knowledge of the region, so if he says it's a bad idea to advertise it then I trust his judgement.

tamarmole

The consensus west of the Tamar is that it is better to keep mines and mine exploration well off the radar.  The thinking being that if landowners learn that people are accessing mines on their property there is the potential that they will bulldoze entrances to reduce their liability.  There is a real "holes in the ground are bad" mentality in this part of the world. 

benshannon

So it seems impossible to get any true info. Anyone fancy taking me and a friend down a mine when we come down? I would really like to poke my head into some where. Especially as I'll be looking for caving clubs when I move down there

mrodoc

Contact the Carbis Bay Crew, they have been very helpful to me, or the St. Just Mine Group one of whom took me into Geevor a while back.